Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair or replace a rusted door frame?

m_fitzg
Finding My Feet

How to repair or replace a rusted door frame?

Hi!

The metal door frame (brick walls) to our upstairs bathroom is rusted. I just tapped it with a hammer based on advice on a different Bunnings post and it's really rusted at the bottom. There is a large hole in the frame now.

Would this be repairable with sanding and bog or is this a replacement?20240806_164035.jpg

The carpet outside is not wet, and the roof storage door above it is not damaged. No other doors in the house are rusting. I am not sure if the rust was already there before the previous owners renovated the bathroom. I've attached some photos below pre- and post- hammering.

Thank you very much!

PS. The other side of the door jamb is rusting a little, but not as much as the right hand side.

Photo below shows before hammering, with visible rust spots and bubbling.

20240806_151039.jpg

The following photos show post-hammering with the large hole.

After hammeringAfter hammeringAfter hammeringAfter hammeringHole after hammeringHole after hammering

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rusted Door Frame - Repairable? Or Replace

Hello @m_fitzg 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your metal door frame.

I'm afraid the metal has rusted too far and can't be repaired with bog. If it was just surface rust a bit of sanding and bog would b have been the perfect repair formula, but all the support has rusted away. I propose engaging the services of a registered builder and getting a quote to replace your door frame. Once your budget is ready you can then proceed with the replacement.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @m_fitzg 

Bugger 😕 I would be heading towards a replacement and as @EricL suggests getting a quote from a registed builder.

I would also get the moisture levels checked in and around the door and walls. Thats a lot of long term rust and something has caused it. Maybe there was a leak before you bought the place but even so it would take awhile for that rust to develop. Maybe they 'covered" up the rust and its just made it through but peace of mind I would get the walls checked with a moisture meter.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @m_fitzg I agree with @EricL and look in to having the door jamb replaced. And as @Dave-1 has already highlighted, I would be wanting to know how an internal metal jamb was able to corrode in the first place which, would indicate long exposure to a high moisture environment.

Nailbag

Thank you everyone! I figured this was the case. Hopefully we can avoid cracking the tiles on the bathroom side during the replacement. Thanks again.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @m_fitzg If you have an Angle grinder or reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade, you could make a cut say 100mm up on both sides. then work on removing the top section first leaving the stubs at the bottom. Then you can be more careful in removing those smaller pieces so not to damage the tiles. 

You can help relieve some of the pressure on the, but removing the silicone or grout just at the point it meets the metal. 

Also use the pointed end of one of these very strong scraping tools along the edge of the door frame and walls. This will help the top surface of the walls pulling out with the frame.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects