Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair hole in grout?

Orlando
Cultivating a Following

How to repair hole in grout?

The house I've just moved into is not old - built in 2016. My question concerns the shower in the main bathroom. It looks like the couple who lived in the house previously only used the ensuite, because the main shower looks pristine. One teeny concern though: on the floor there is a one centimetre hole where the grout wasn't pushed properly up to the wall tile. Now having seen what damage capillary action of water can do to old showers, I'm worried that this hole might be the start of problems in the future. Is there a tube of something I can buy from Bunnings - a grout filler - to bung up the hole? I don't want to buy a huge can of grout for such a tiny gap. And whilst talking about showers, is there a liquid I can apply to shower grout as a preventative measure against future hairline cracks in grout? I'm just trying to be proactive. Many thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shower Grout Issues

Hello @Orlando 

Thanks for sharing your question about the tile grout in your shower. 

I suggest using Dunlop 800g Ready-To-Go Coloured Grout. This is a ready to go grout with no mixing involved, it's easy to apply and works on wall and floor tiles. There is also the Dunlop 250g White Ready To Go Tile Adhesive And Grout, but it only comes in a single colour.

Once you've repaired the damage and the grout has cured, I suggest using Betta TileCare 500ml Tile And Grout Sealer With Wheel Applicator. This will seal the surface of the grout maximise water resistance and reducing the growth of mould and mildew without leaving a slippery surface. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to grout wall tiles.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Orlando
Cultivating a Following

Re: Shower Grout Issues

Hj Eric, Once again thanks. I think the 250g Tile and Grout sounds perfect, and I'll certainly treat the grout afterwards. Orlando

Orlando
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to repair hole in grout?

I bought the Tile and Grout. I did notice on the back of the tube that it says it's not suitable for shower/wet areas. However, since I'm only using it to fill a small hole (and i'll be using a sealer afterwards), I don't see it being a problem.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Orlando,

It's not ideal, but for a small hole, with the sealer over it, it should be ok.

It's not worth risking water damage to the rest of your home, so please keep an eye on it if this is how you plan to proceed.  I'd suggest you monitor it over the next few weeks to ensure it is doing what you want it to do. 

If you find it hasn't sealed well, you may need to remove it and apply something more suitable such as the Dunlop 800g Ready-To-Go Coloured Grout - White.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Orlando
Cultivating a Following

Cheers Jacob for the follow-up

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects