Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach moulding to cover gap between Kaboodle benchtop and asbestos wall?

JustLikeDad
Finding My Feet

How to attach moulding to cover gap between Kaboodle benchtop and asbestos wall?

Hi Team. I'm renovating my 1940s farm home. The walls in the laundry are not square so I'm installing quad moulding to cover a small gap between the back of my new kaboodle benchtop and the asbestos wall. What should I use to attach the moulding? Is a brad nailer suitable to go into the asbestos wall? I will use a router to shape the moulding around the cover strips. 

20240610_122342.jpg

20240610_122258.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach moulding to cover gap between kaboodle benchtop and asbestos wall

Hi @JustLikeDad,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

With any project where asbestos is present, I advise reviewing the resources from the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency for guidance on safe practices. Prioritise safety by educating yourself and seeking professional assistance when needed.

It's always best to have a trained professional remove the asbestos, but if it is intact and does not release airborne fibres, it is relatively safe to leave it in place.

For this reason, you should not use brad nails. Anything that will pierce the asbestos and potentially cause fracturing and the release of fibres is not advisable.

I would suggest using Selleys 320g Liquid Nails Original Construction Adhesive instead.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Re: How to attach moulding to cover gap between kaboodle benchtop and asbestos wall

Hi JacobZ. Thankyou for your quick reply. I've read all the safety requirements for dealing with asbestos and considered the risks associated with nailing into asbestos. I don't really want to use adhesive so wondering if a brad nailer would work.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JustLikeDad,

Generally speaking, brad nailers are used for the installation of trim such as this, but I wouldn't be comfortable shooting them into an asbestos wall.

You could certainly use brad nails that are shot into the benchtop to secure the trim in place.

This would give you a nice solid connection without piercing the asbestos wall.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JustLikeDad 

I understand your desire to securely anchor the timber moulding to your asbestos wall, but it is inherently dangerous. Strong hitting motions against it are enough to make your walls vibrate thereby releasing asbestos particles into the air. These may seem minimal to you, but even a small amount is enough to cause contamination in the area. The last thing you want to happen is to have the asbestos particles to spread inside your household.  

In the interest of health and safety, I don't recommend any hitting motion to be applied to your asbestos wall. I propose looking at using Selleys 290ml Hold Up Construction Adhesive. You can then use heavy weights to hold the timber moulding in place.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your feedback Jacob & Eric.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects