Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair chips in porcelain tiles of shower floor?

Wazza99
Just Starting Out

How to repair chips in porcelain tiles of shower floor?

I have recently re-grouted shower floor, however when removing the grout I chipped the tiles in a couple areas.  The chips are small but do stand out.  I would like to paint a matching colour (light grey) but not sure what type of paint would work on porcelain tiles.  I also need to colour match.  The chips are not that deep so an epoxy fill is not really needed but I open to it if the paint will hold better.

Second question... the tiler put in the drain about 1mm higher than the tiles.  Therefore, water is pooling along the 100mm of grout lines and tile leading to the drain.  I have sealed the new grout, however the last 100mm still looks wet from the water.  Can I apply a clear polyurethane coat or some other clear coat that is non penetrating to the grout lines to build it up and keep a dry look?  Any product suggestions?

Thank you in advance :smile:

tile.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair chips in porcelain tiles of shower floor?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Wazza99. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing chipped tiles.

If you are looking to touchup these areas with a white paint then Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Touch Up Kit might be the most convenient option, though it can't be tinted. The other option would be to go with Dulux Renovation for floor tiles, which can be tinted in different colours.

I am unaware of any products specifically designed for sealing and raising grout lines. Depending on what sealer you've already used, would a couple of additional coats raise the level enough?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell,

I tried a different approach with success. 

I used PC-11 Epoxy Paste

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pc-11-56g-white-epoxy-paste_p1560098

It is waterproof and tintable so I used just a toothpick tip of colour to mix and match the colour to the tiles.

Tint used: Crafty Colour Acrylic Paint

https://www.bunnings.com.au/boyle-75ml-matt-black-crafty-colour-acrylic-paint_p0322587

Taped off the grout, filled chips and a light sand once cured with 800 grit.

Total repair cost just over $20  :smile:

Regarding the sealer, I found the one I was looking for which I previously used about 15 years ago.  It was in the trade section.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/crommelin-500ml-shower-sealer-and-waterproofer_p0960925

All good now :smile:

Cheers!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great work, @Wazza99! I'm glad to hear you resolved the issue.

Many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects