Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace silicone base on shower screen?

AA2024
Just Starting Out

How to replace silicone base on shower screen?

Hi there,

The silicone base on the shower screen has yellowed over time (pictures attached) and has some mould growing on it.

I am hoping to remove and replace the existing silicone as it is not weight baring, however am seeking advice on how to make it neat as it is a large gap to fill. Would using painters tape help here?

Many thanks,

AliceIMG_9067.jpgIMG_9068.jpgIMG_9069.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing silicone base on shower screen

Hello @AA2024 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your silicone seal.

Just a friendly reminder when working around glass to please be extremely careful as any accidental hit on the glass could cause it to shatter and cause injury. 

I suggest using the CornerTape Professional Silicon Remover in combination with a Trojan Safety Scraper. Please note that using the safety scraper at an angle can cause it to gouge the bath finish so please be careful when using both tools. Using painter's tape is the key to getting a great finish which you'll see in the guide below. I propose using Selleys 300g Clear Wet Area Waterproof Silicone Sealant to replace your old sealer.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to silicone seal a bath. (the techniques used are applicable to your project)

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects