Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove this cover from a Caroma toilet cistern?

ShuBert
Just Starting Out

How to remove this cover from a Caroma toilet cistern?

Hey all.

I have an old Caroma cistern that is dated 2002 and has this round thing which appears to be covering the wall mounting screw/bolt. It feels like it's ceramic when I tap it. 

How do it get it off so I can remove it from the wall without destroying it? and do you think there's a replacement part for it?

Cheers,

IMG_20221108_143801.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove this cover from a Caroma Cistern

Hello @ShuBert

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your Caroma cistern.

Looking at the picture you posted, I believe this is a manufacturing plug and not a mounting plug. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the entire toilet suite? This will allow our members a chance to assess the configuration of the toilet. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. Can you also please confirm if there is a similar plug on the other side of the cistern? If there is, there is a possibility that it is a mounting point. However, if there is only one of them, odds are it is just a cover for the cistern.

There are two types of cistern and pan configurations, one is called a linked suite, the cistern and pan are joined together with a pipe in between them and a plastic cover is placed in between the gap between the pan and cistern. This configuration often has the cistern screwed into the wall. The second one is called a close-coupled suite, the cistern literally sits at the very back of the pan and is joined together. In this configuration, the cistern is screwed directly into the pan with no pipe in between them.

If you have the second type of toilet suite, most plumbers often attach the cistern to the wall with silicone to prevent it from moving. If you look directly down into your cistern and find two large screw heads at the bottom of the cistern, you have a close-coupled cistern. It is very likely that your cistern is glued on with silicone to your wall.

We should be able to confirm the type of cistern that you have once we see a full photo of your toilet suite. Are you trying to repair the internal parts of the toilet suite or do you wish to replace the entire set? Any extra information you can share with the community about your toilet suite would be very much appreciated.

We look forward to seeing your photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ShuBert
Just Starting Out

Ahh.. that makes more sense.. 

There is a bunch of silicon on the back. Will go with plan B.

Thanks for the info.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ShuBert

I'm glad the information helped, if you run into any issues while disassembling the toilet suite, please don't hesitate to post your questions. We'll be more than happy to provide assistance.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects