Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prep cracked paint on bathroom ceiling?

SarahC84
Just Starting Out

How to prep cracked paint on bathroom ceiling?

Hi there, I’m prepping our main bathroom ceiling for repainting. It has lots of cracks in existing paint, there was mould which I killed with clove oil. Cracking most likely due to oil based paint used by previous owners- it was everywhere Inc ceilings🙄

I have sanded with 80 grit on Ryobi palm sander & scraped with paint scraper. I feel that not a lot came off tho it does feel bit smooother. 
will this be enough to get a good finish? 
I have some sealer binder prep to use, top coats will be Dulux bathroom paint in semi gloss. Any advice Inc which sealer binder to use ? IMG_5183.jpegIMG_5184.jpegIMG_5185.jpegIMG_5186.jpegIMG_5187.jpegIMG_5188.jpegIMG_5189.jpegIMG_5190.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prep cracked paint on bathroom ceiling?

Hi @SarahC84,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Your prep work looks to be fairly good, however, I'd pay a bit more attention to the area around the lightbulb as this looks to have been painted with a different product that has not bonded as well as the rest of the ceiling. 

The new paint is only going to be as good as the old. If the old paint underneath continues to delaminate and fail then the new coat will come off too, so taking the time to get as much of the problem areas sanded back well is going to be in your best interests.

In terms of primer, the Zinsser will be the best for this application, however, you will likely need a bit more than you have. You might like to grab a new tin of Zinsser 946ml B-I-N Primer Sealer Stain Killer specifically for this job.

Once primed, then you can apply your paint.

You might like to have a look at How To Paint a Ceiling for some guidance on the process.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to prep cracked paint on bathroom ceiling?

Good Afternoon @SarahC84 

Sanding overhead is back breaking buisness 😕 Feeling your pain for sure.

I had the same issue in my laundry (and yet to do bathroom) and managed to get it back to looking smooth with no issues since.

Here is the project, it shows how I scraped, sanded and then used fine putty to smooth smooth the ceiling. Then sanded again :smile: Back breaking yep. But so worth it!

Laundry retrofit 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects