Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install shower drain puddle flange?

stevenab
Getting Established

How to install shower drain puddle flange?

In the process of installing a puddle flange into the shower area. I'm looking at installing a linear drain hard up to the tiled wall which is parallel with the shower sliding door. Linear tray is 100mm wide and drain Spiggot is 72mm in diameter. I've been told to install a 100mm puddle flange to accommodate the 72mm Spiggot. However, dur to the diameter of the puddle flange it would need to be cut or modified to get it that close to the wall. OR is there another type of flange I should be using ?

20240809_172210.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help with shower drain puddle flange.

Hello @stevenab 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your puddle flange.

In this particular situation, I suggest speaking to your waterproofing trades person. They will be aware of the rules and regulations regarding puddle flange installation as they will be the ones applying the water proofing. My only other suggestion is to perhaps move your waste pipe by 28mm so that there will be no need to cut the flange. It might slightly move your linear waste, but I don't think it will have a big impact in its overall position in your shower.   

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @stevenab 

I would get your tiler to pop in and  and show them the drain grate as this will impact where it should be positioned in relation to the cuts in the floor tiles and where the wall tiles or glass meet. 

Typically the drain would be positioned not directly below the wall but slightly offset forward. But this comes down to the drain design. 

The tiler if not doing the waterproofing will still be able establish how the puddle may impact this and exactly where it needs to be positioned. 

Looking forward to see the finished shower photos

regards Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

EVening @stevenab 

My fist thought was to have a chat to the plumber about the location and how to fix it, they will have to have the wet area signed off so they will know what can be done and not done. I Dont like the idea of modifying flanges for water proofing purposes, it heads into "yeah nah, its not going to pass inspection but the certifier area.

Can you shift the waste further away from the edge of the wall? I know you want it close but not sure how close is wise.

Dave

stevenab
Getting Established

Re: How to install shower drain puddle flange?

So after a few discussions with plumbers, they've suggested moving it away from the wall. This means I will have 50mm of tile from 3 walls to the 100mm wide linear drain. Not exactly what I wanted, I was hoping for the linear drain to be flush with the rear wall and adjacent walls, but apparently it's not recommended. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects