Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix crack on ceramic sink?

hisumesh
Cultivating a Following

How to fix crack on ceramic sink?

IMG_0646.jpeg

Hi Team

There is a crack (hairline) in the bathroom sink. No idea what caused it as we didn't drop anything heavy in the sink. The crack is in the corner. Any way this can be fixed to (a) to avoid long term issue to the sink and (b) to make invisible to the eye. Sink is of white colour. Any pointers would be of great help.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Crack on ceramic/porcelain sink

Hi @hisumesh,

The are no real fixes for hairline cracks in a sink that I know of. You might be able to disguise the cracks by filling them with a Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Touch Up Kit. You'll need to fill the cracks rather than paint over them to get a reasonable finish. It's important that the paint remains within the crack itself and does not spread onto the surface of the sink. You could either paint the crack and immediately wipe the excess off the surrounding sink with a lint-free cloth or apply some paint to a gloved finger and rub it into the cracks, once again removing the excess. By filling the crack instead of painting over them, you'll disguise them. However, if you paint over them, you'll end up with painted lines on your sink. I've created a rendering below to illustrate the profile view of the crack at a micro level. 

I would advise doing a small test section before committing to the whole sink.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hisumesh
Cultivating a Following

Re: Crack on ceramic/porcelain sink

Thanks @MitchellMc . Let me give it a go based on your recommendation.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects