Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean white stuff on bathroom tiles?

razia
Finding My Feet

How to clean white stuff on bathroom tiles?

Hello! I have recently cleaned my bathroom with cleaning vinegar and baking soda paste and I have noticed that there are now white stuff in the between the bathroom tiles. I tried cleaning it with a mixture of parts water and vinegar then scrubbing it with a brush and a baking soda but, unfortunately, it didn’t work. I also tried using Selley’s Mould Remover but didn’t work. Do you have any recommendations? Especially on how to prevent this from happening? Thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: White stuff on bathroom tiles

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @razia. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cleaning bathroom tiles.

It sounds like a few images of the issue would really help our members make informed suggestions. Let me know if you need help uploading pictures.

The white residue you're noticing between your tiles is likely due to a combination of leftover cleaning products and possibly some efflorescence, which is a build-up of minerals like calcium from water seeping through the grout. To remove this, start by thoroughly rinsing the area with clean water to ensure all cleaning product residue is gone. 

If the residue persists, it may be efflorescence, and it could take further cleaning with your vinegar solution to break it down.

Once the white residue is removed, consider sealing the grout with Betta TileCare 1L Tile & Grout Sealer to prevent water and minerals from seeping in, which will reduce the chance of efflorescence forming in the future. To maintain the appearance of your tiles and grout, avoid using too much cleaning product and ensure thorough rinsing. Periodically resealing the grout will also help keep it looking its best. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Here’s a photo. It does not show much but it’s in the middle of the grout. Do you still advise the same thing? 

IMG_2202.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That does look like efflorescence and calcium build up @razia. Can it be scratched away at all? Be careful not to damage the grout or tile. 

You'd want to be careful using the vinegar around the dark grout as it could discolour it.

Mitchell

I tried scratching it but it doesn’t go away. What do you think I can use? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Perhaps a small flathead screwdriver, @razia.

Mitchell

Thanks so much! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects