Workshop
Ask a question

How to repair a broken towel rail mounting plate

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

How to repair a broken towel rail mounting plate

It's not uncommon for the stub on the fixing plate for bath/hand towels fixing plates to break off. Unfortunately there are no spare parts available as each type is unique by brand. Due to the weight of hanging and pulling towels on/off the rail, metal glues are just not strong enough. And since there is no common standard in rail lengths, then finding a replacement that will fit in exactly the same spot is not highly unlikely. So, what's the solution?

Though difficult to find for small jobs, a metal engineer could either make up a new plate or spot-weld the stub back on. Or you could fix it yourself. It's not the easiest of DIY projects but doable all the same. Here's how I've done it.

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 10.34.39 PM.png

Steps

Step 1

First measure the length and width of the broken stub and buy a bolt as close as possible. The width is the most important.

Then drill through the centre of the broken plate with metal drill bit.

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 10.10.16 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-07-05 at 10.50.05 PM.png

Step 2

Insert the bolt and mark the length to that of the broken stub. 

use a vice or vice grips to secure the bolt and cut it to length with the angle grinder.

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 10.16.35 PM.png

Step 3

Measure the distance and depth of the notch the locking grub screw on the stub.

Reinsert the bolt through the plate and mark the location on the notch.

Secure the bolt in a vice or vice-grips. Then use an the angle grinder or hacksaw to very carefully make a notch in the bolt

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 10.31.11 PM.png

Step 4

Refit the bolt and use an epoxy glue to secure it into place.

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 11.16.25 PM.png

Step 5

If the head of the bolt protrudes the depth of the plate, you will need to make a shallow cavity in the tile to prevent the mounting plate from sitting flat.

Use a 12mm multi-purpose bit to make a shallow indent in the centre of where the mounting plate is positioned.

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 10.22.55 PM.png

Step 6

Refit the mounting plate to the wall, then the bath/hand towel and you're done.

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 10.32.39 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-07-05 at 11.08.37 PM.png

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How To Repair a Broken Bath/Hand Towel Rail Mounting Plate

Hi @Nailbag,

Thank you for sharing a great solution to a common problem on our platform.

I'm sure many of our viewers will be able to use this handy solution in the future.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How To Repair a Broken Bath/Hand Towel Rail Mounting Plate

Thanks very much @JacobZ I hope it can help a very problematic issue.

Nailbag

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to repair a broken towel rail mounting plate

Great work @Nailbag. Thanks so much for sharing this step-by-step guide to tackling a common problem.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day Nailbags! @Nailbag 

"So, what's the solution?"

I guess it all depends on the bracket design and the material they're made from. But, if I may humbly suggest two things...

Never throw away any bolt of screw you possess - no matter how unlikely you think you'll ever use it again.

20240711_112048.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

And every DIY'er should own an inexpensive tap and die set (metric at least).

😁

20240710_123313.jpg

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Nice!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects