Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove toilet cistern lid 1990 Fowler toilet?

mekster
Finding My Feet

How to remove toilet cistern lid 1990 Fowler toilet?

Hi All, I don't know how to remove the cistern lid on this 1990 Fowler toilet. I've tried unscrewing the circle around the button but the button moves with it and it won't turn. Not sure if it's jammed and am worried if I put too much force on it that I'll break it. Any ideas?

16782762084643853970559150264574.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove toilet cistern lid 1990 Fowler toilet

Hello @mekster 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your toilet cistern.

You are on the right track with trying to remove the locking ring. However, the flush buttons have stuck to the locking ring and is preventing you from turning it properly. I suggest trying this method, hold on to the flushing buttons including the centre divider. Make sure your grip is firm, but not overly tight. Now use your other hand to hold on to the flat locking ring and turning it anti-clockwise.

It's important that the flushing buttons stay in place and not move as you turn the locking ring anti-clockwise. It might be slightly tight, but eventually you will be able to get it off. 

Please make sure to wear proper safety equipment such as gloves and goggles when working on your toilet cistern.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL

Thanks for your advice. You were spot on. When I held the buttons so that they didn't move I could turn the ring quite easily.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Mekster 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mekster 

I'm glad you got the locking ring off, if you have any questions regarding cistern repair or spare parts, please don't hesitate to post them. I'm sure our members will be more than happy to provide advice and information.

Eric

Hi Eric,

I have one of these peach coloured Fowler toilets from the late 1980s to 1990. There is small water leak from the cistern into the toilet bowl. What would cause this and are there spare parts available?

Thanks 

Martin

20240710_152111.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mogo2309 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your cistern.

It might be possible to find spare parts for your cistern, but we'll need to see what's inside first. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the inside of the cistern once you have the cover off? This will give our members a better idea of what parts are inside. We can then make recommendations on what alternative parts you can use to repair your cistern.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly Eric. I will need to check the toilet at my Uncle's house and get back to you.

Regards

Martin

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mogo2309 (Martin)

Please make sure to take several photos so that we can see the parts from different angles.

Eric

Thanks will do

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @mogo2309,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I trust you'll get plenty of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful members.

Please note that we have a step-by-step guide that should assist you - How to fix a leaking toilet. It should help you to identify the problem and demonstrate how to address it.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects