Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does an toilet s to p trap converter need a wax ring?

titantwo
Finding My Feet

Does an toilet s to p trap converter need a wax ring?

Hello team

I've recently has a toilet install which has a s to p trap converter. That toilet broke as it was a swipe to flush toilet and the electrics failed, never getting those again. Anyway, I replaced the toilet about a year after initially installed. I did replace the existing s to p trap convert as the new toilet was able to slide right in. Issue I have now is an occasional sewage smell, possibly only when flushed? There are no leaks that I can see. I did not not install a wax ring between the toilet and so trap converter, as any instruction I used did not specify this as a requirement. Looking for guidance thanks

PlumbMaster-Zee
Building a Reputation

Re: Does an toilet s to p trap converter need a wax ring?

Hello Titantwo,

It sounds like you're experiencing issues with sewage smells possibly due to the lack of a wax ring installation.

Here's some guidance:

1. Wax Ring Necessity: Typically, a wax ring is essential for creating a watertight and airtight seal between the toilet base and the flange on the floor. This seal prevents water and sewer gases from leaking out. If you didn't install a wax ring when replacing the toilet, this could be the source of the sewage smell.

2. Installation Check: Even if the instructions for the S to P trap converter did not specify the need for a wax ring, it’s a standard practice in toilet installations. I recommend checking the installation instructions of both the converter and the toilet again, as sometimes specific models might have unique requirements.

3. Possible Causes:
- Seal Issue: Without a wax ring, the seal between the toilet and the converter might not be airtight, allowing sewer gases to escape.
- Movement: Over time, even minor movements of the toilet can break any temporary seal that might have formed, exacerbating the issue.

4. Solution:
- Install a Wax Ring: I suggest removing the toilet and installing a new wax ring between the toilet and the flange. Make sure the toilet is seated properly on the ring to create a good seal.
- Inspection: While the toilet is removed, inspect the converter and flange for any damage or debris that might affect the seal.

If the smell persists after installing a wax ring, it might be worth checking other potential sources such as the vent stack, or considering a professional inspection to ensure there are no other underlying issues.

Best regards,
Zee

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @titantwo 

Thanks for sharing your question about your toilet. The good news is that a Fluidmaster Universal Wax Pan Seal is available at the store. 

PlumbMaster-Zee has provided excellent advice regarding installing a wax ring. If you have back to wall toilet suite installed, it's possible that the S/P trap converter is not sitting properly and thereby allowing a bit of sewer gas to escape.

It's possible that you might have to reseat the toilet pan to make sure that the trap is lined up properly. Even professional installers get this wrong and will sometimes take several attempts before the trap is properly seated. If it proves to be too difficult, I suggest engaging the services of a licensed plumber to properly set the trap for you.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks eric. Is the wax ring necessary for the pan to p to s trap connection? Can't see how it would work? Thanks for your help 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @titantwo 

I agree that the wax ring might not be the answer to your situation. As I mentioned before, the trap could be leaning out of line and thus causing some of the gas to escape. When you installed the trap did you change or renew the pan collar rubber on the wall? That would be the only other cause I can think of. Due to the location of your trap it's not possible to install a wax seal. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric, appreciate the insight! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects