Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What cistern replacement parts do I need?

Scottyboi
Just Starting Out

What cistern replacement parts do I need?

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some advice please on what parts I need to replace my cistern. All advice appreciated! Thank you.

Scottyboi_0-1718066252555.jpeg

20240609_141458.jpg20240611_094408 (1).jpgHeight of cistern on wallHeight of cistern on wall20240609_141442.jpg20240609_135845.jpg20240609_141448.jpg20240609_141437.jpg20240609_135813.jpg20240611_093756.jpg20240609_141508.jpg20240611_094342.jpg

PlumbMaster-Zee
Building a Reputation

Re: What cistern replacement parts do I need?

Hi Scottyboi,

To help you with replacing your cistern, here are the specific parts you will need and some advice on what to look for:

Specific Cistern Replacement Parts:

Fill Valve (Inlet Valve):

Function: Controls the water flow into the cistern.

Specifics: Look for adjustable fill valves that can be set to the correct water level. Common brands include Fluidmaster, Geberit, and Kinetic.

Types: When choosing an inlet valve, there’s a standard one and the quiet fill option. The quiet fill option is designed to reduce noise when the cistern is refilling.

Flush Valve:

Function: Releases water from the cistern into the toilet bowl during flushing. Specifics: Ensure compatibility with your toilet model. Includes parts like the flush valve body, flapper, or flush seal. Popular brands include Fluidmaster, Geberit, Kinetic, and Danco.

Flush Button or Handle:

Function: The mechanism you use to initiate the flush.

Specifics: Dual flush buttons are common for modern toilets. Ensure the button or handle matches the type of flush valve you have. Brands like Fluidmaster, Geberit, and Kinetic offer various designs.

Overflow Tube (Optional):

Function: Prevents the cistern from overflowing by directing excess water into the toilet bowl.
Specifics: Often integrated with the flush valve. Make sure it's compatible with your cistern height and model.

Gaskets and Seals:

Function: Prevent leaks between the cistern and other components.

Specifics: Includes the flush valve seal, tank-to-bowl gasket, and washers. Ensure these are made from durable materials like rubber or silicone. Specific kits from brands like Fluidmaster, Geberit, and Kinetic are available.

Cistern to Bowl Bolts and Washers: Function: Secure the cistern to the toilet bowl.

Specifics: Typically come in a set with bolts, nuts, and rubber washers. Ensure they are rust-resistant and fit your toilet model. Brands like Fluidmaster, Korky, and Kinetic offer these kits.

Steps to Replace Your Cistern Parts:

Turn Off Water Supply: Turn off the water supply to the toilet to prevent any leaks while you work.

Drain the Cistern: Flush the toilet to empty the cistern of water.

Remove Old Parts: Carefully remove the old fill valve, flush valve, and any other components. Keep note of how everything is connected to make installation easier.

Install New Parts: Follow the instructions provided with your replacement parts. Start with the fill valve, then the flush valve, and finally the flush button or handle. Make sure all gaskets and seals are properly placed to prevent leaks.

Reconnect Water Supply: Turn the water supply back on and check for any leaks. Adjust the fill valve if necessary to ensure the correct water level in the cistern.

Test the Flush: Test the new flush mechanism to ensure everything is working correctly.

Additional Tips:

Compatibility: Ensure all parts are compatible with your specific toilet model. Taking the old parts to the store can help you find the right replacements.

Instructions: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully for each part. Professional Help: If you’re unsure or encounter any issues, consider consulting a professional plumber.

Alternative Option: Bunnings sells cisterns starting from $69 (IN: 5003919), which may be cheaper than buying individual replacement parts. Just make sure that the dimensions fit your setup.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Zee

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What cistern replacement parts do I need?

Hi @Scottyboi 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your cistern.

Please note that it might be necessary to engage a licensed plumber to complete this work. If in doubt, please consult your local building authority before starting.

It's great that you've received a detailed recommendation from @PlumbMaster-Zee. Just to add to the suggestions made, I propose having a look at the Kinetic Round And Oval Button Dual Flush Outlet Valve Kit along with the Kinetic Close Couple Seal Washer - 2 Pack. These would be the basic parts you would need to use to repair your cistern. 

Please note that testing these generic parts will be necessary to make sure that they fit correctly. 

I recommend re-using the cistern screws that are already there as they are designed to work with the toilet suite. If it becomes too difficult, I suggest engaging the services of a plumber to re-assemble your cistern.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects