Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove glass shower door?

april3
Getting Established

How to remove glass shower door?

ADE25725-91E7-4010-B648-1896F35E29D2.jpeg

  

Hiya! I am wanting to remove this shower door in our rental place. Would anybody be able to help with how to do this without breaking anything. I will need to put it back on at the end of our stay. Appreciate any advice :smile:

054B7EAF-E819-4C58-ACA7-2168F4E65C0B.jpeg

PlumbMaster-Zee
Building a Reputation

Re: How to remove glass shower door?

Hi April3,

It looks like you're dealing with a glass screen in a bathtub used to protect against splashes when using the shower. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you remove it without breaking anything:

Steps to Remove a Glass Screen from a Bathtub:

1. Gather Tools: You’ll need a screwdriver (Phillips or flathead, depending on your screws), a utility knife, and possibly an extra set of hands for support.

2. Safety First: Safety Glasses: Wear safety glasses to protect your eyes from any potential glass shards. Gloves: Wear gloves to protect your hands. Dry Surfaces: Ensure both the glass screen and the bathtub are completely dry to avoid slipping.

3. Inspect the Screen: Look at how the screen is attached. Typically, there will be screws securing the screen to the wall brackets or frame.

4. Remove the Screws: Top and Bottom Screws: If there are screws at the top and bottom of the frame or brackets, remove these first. Side Screws: Next, remove the screws along the side where the screen is attached to the wall or brackets. Make sure someone is holding the screen to prevent it from falling once the screws are removed.

5. Cut Caulk or Sealant: Use a utility knife to carefully cut through any caulk or sealant around the edges of the screen or frame. This will help release the screen and prevent damage to the wall or tiles.

6. Lift the Screen Out: With the screws removed and the sealant cut, you should be able to carefully lift the screen out of the frame or brackets. This is where an extra set of hands can be really helpful to support the weight of the screen and prevent it from falling.

7. Store the Screen Safely: Place the screen in a safe, out-of-the-way location where it won’t get damaged. Make sure it’s standing upright and well-supported.

Additional Tips:

Take Your Time: Work slowly and carefully to avoid damaging the glass or surrounding area.

Protect the Floor: Place a towel or cloth on the floor to catch any small pieces or debris that might fall during the removal process. Reinstallation: Keep all screws and parts in a labeled bag or container to make reinstallation easier when it’s time to move out.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Zee

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @april3 

In this particular instance, I suggest speaking to your property manager or landlord first and informing them of the safety issue which is the glass shower bath panel. Although it is possible to take it apart, I suggest letting the professionals handle this particular issue as it is safety glass, and any mistake in handling or installation can cause it to break and shatter causing injury.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
april3
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply! I have already informed my landlord and they were fine with me removing this as long as we put it back to how it was when we leave. Would you still recommend calling a professional or is this something I could do myself?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @april3 

I recommend getting a handy person or trades person to remove the glass for you. Since this is a health and safety issue, I suggest speaking to your landlord about having it fixed properly as leaving it uninstalled poses a greater risk of the glass falling or getting damaged if stored incorrectly. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects