Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need to add waterproofing to a washing machine area?

ruhmann131
Just Starting Out

Do I need to add waterproofing to a washing machine area?

IMG_1216.jpeg

Hi, 

I am converting a little concave area of my house into a space for the washing machine and dryer. No wash tub or sink. Subfloor is concrete with tiles on top. I will also tap into the water and power from behind the wall (left wall of pic) which is the toilet with a hand basin. I will paint the walls in a bathroom paint with mold resistance however, within the Australian standards, do I need to waterproof this area or is this enough to be considered water resistant in this scenario.  Just wanting to ensure I am doing the right thing legally. Thank you in advance. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do I need to add waterproofing to a washing machine area?

Hi @ruhmann131 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your laundry area.

Although the area has no laundry tub/sink the NCC still requires the area to be waterproofed as seen in section Part 10.2.5 Wet area waterproofing/other areas. I also suggest visiting your local council in regards to the rules and regulations of waterproofing in your area as there might be additional requirements.

I suggest engaging the services of a registered builder who is familiar with laundry conversions and renovations as they will be familiar with the rules and regulations of the local council. They will be able to define which areas are water resistant and which area needs waterproofing. Please note that waterproofing must be done by a trained professional as it will be inspected and signed off.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects