Workshop
Ask a question

What DIY options for washroom entrance?

robin84
Just Starting Out

What DIY options for washroom entrance?

Hi Community user,

I need some advice on covering the cavity at the bathroom entrance with a door. The cavity is 1.3 meters wide and 2.18 meters high. I have explored barn doors, which might be the easiest to use, however, it would require a big barn door(and is expensive). I am not looking to cut or extend the wall. Currently, looking for options below.

1. Pocket sliding door

2. Double doors (hinged)

Has anyone done a similar project or can provide advice where the cavity size is not the standard size? 

I have attached a couple of pictures

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-04 at 13.38.46 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-07-04 at 13.38.46.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What DIY options for washroom entrance?

Hello @robin84 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your washroom entrance. 

In this particular instance, I suggest thinking about double bifold doors from Hume Doors. These doors will occupy the least amount of space next to pocket doors. They are relatively straight forward to install and does not require a great deal of hardware. 

The best part is that you can order the doors custom size, so you won't have any issues with fitting. I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how the doors can be arranged.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: Hume how to install a bifold door.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @robin84 

Id like to say howdy and welcome to the Bunnings community :smile: Its a nice place to hang out in with loads of ideas!

I do like @EricL's suggestion but the first thought that came to me was a Japanese styled sliding door, something to fit within the doorframe. Also something that would allow some light through tho frosted.

Shoji Screen And Doors and in arcticular https://shoji.com.au/ is a Japanese screen supplier in Aus, I havnt used them but just had a look now to see what could be used. Number 56 in their gallery might be worth looking at as a point to start with ideas. If You could have 2-3 panels that slide over each other to end up with 1/3 of the space blocked and 2/3's open then it could look very stylish.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @robin84 since your preference is to not increase the opening, then a cavity/pocket slider unfortunately isn't going to be an option without going a non-practical ultra narrow door size. Both @Dave-1 and @EricL have already suggested a couple of very good options to consider with bi-folding doors. You could still be a barn door if you were prepared to partially fill in the opening so the door wouldn't need to be so wide and expensive. However barn doors tend to be more of a feature than be a practical opening for something like a bathroom due to weight and bulk to regularly open and close so, the bifold option would be more practical.

Another option consider  would be twin opening 620mm doors, which including the door jamb (frame) would fit within the existing opening without modification. The gap between the door jamb and existing wall would be covered by architrave. Using doors with an inlay or glaze could make them a feature and could be a very cost effective solution using off-the shelf materials.

Regards, Nailbag

Double-Swinging-Doors.jpg

m_master-bath-white-double-doors.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects