Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

nonload bearing wall on hybrid floor

dontjudgeitried
Community Newcomer

nonload bearing wall on hybrid floor

Hi all,

I need to install a non-load bearing wall (no door) but have new hybrid flooring installed. Is there a way to allow for the 1mm expansion without cutting (terrified of it unbuckling with cutting) or am I doomed to have to cut? 

ta.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: nonload bearing wall on hybrid floor

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @dontjudgeitried. We're excited to have you here, and many thanks for your question about installing a non-load-bearing wall on hybrid flooring.

Unfortunately, to ensure the necessary 1mm expansion gap for your hybrid flooring, cutting it is usually the best option. If the bottom plate of your wall is secured directly on top of the flooring without making this cut, it can lock the floor in place, preventing it from expanding or contracting naturally. This could lead to issues like buckling over time. While cutting may seem daunting, it's the most reliable way to avoid potential problems down the line.

Your flooring is locked together, so I think it would be unlikely that by cutting a portion out of it, you'd experience issues. If you're unsure I would encourage you to enlist the services of a professional.

Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions or need more guidance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects