Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Squeaky Particle Board

alkifaf
Community Newcomer

Squeaky Particle Board

I have a golden opportunity to fix squeaky flooring on an upstairs landing of a two storey house, as the carpet is being replaced.

I think the floor is 18mm particle board (after reading the building information I have for the house).

I assume the boards were nailed down but won't know until the carpet comes up.

Should I use screws or nails?

I have a basic Bosch electric drill if screws. What sort of screws (and length) would I need to purchase, bearing in mind I don't actually know the thickness of the particle board?

If nails, what sort of nails?

I am in Auckland, NZ and a novice DIYer.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Squeaky Particle Board

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @alkifaf. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about squeaky flooring.

Provided the squeak is caused by the particleboard flooring not being secured properly, adding screws could help resolve the situation. I'd recommend you use Zenith 10G x 50mm Gold Passivated Square Drive Chipboard Screws. The drill you have should be sufficient to drive the screws through the particle board and into the timber supports. However, you might like to use a Macsim 10g Standard Head Clever Tool, which will pre-drill the board and add a countersink to it, allowing the screw to drive in easier and sit flush with the surface. Having the screw sit flush is important so the head can't be felt under your new carpet. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects