Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why daylight saving could save your life

JulieLee
News and Features Writer
News and Features Writer

Why daylight saving could save your life

While a lot of the myths about daylight saving time have been debunked – it probably doesn’t confuse cows and it doesn’t save much energy either – it still causes fierce debate around the country. Here’s what you need to know.

Daylight saving.jpg

Some people love it, others hate it but one thing’s for sure: when it comes to daylight saving, it’s state against state, mate against mate. It was first introduced in Australia as an energy conservation measure during WWI, but studies have found these days – while it may spread our electricity usage throughout the day – it doesn’t offer much in the way of monetary savings.

So, what is it, why do people get so worked up about it, and why should you care? We answer all those questions and share a top tip for remembering which way the clocks go, too.

The case for daylight saving time

It’s pretty obvious why advocates love it – the longer days to take advantage of the warmer weather, but there are loads of other pros, too. Extended daylight hours can encourage people to be more active in the evenings, resulting in healthier lifestyles. It’s also great for businesses – especially restaurants and ice cream parlours – with people spending money later into the evening.

The case for the negative

One group of Aussies that is definitely against moving the clocks is farmers. They already wake with the sparrows and have carefully orchestrated days that are thrown out twice a year. Parents with small kids are also prone to hate the disruption, and it’s definitely not good for people who are easily confused – during summer Australians have five time zones to contend with. 

An easy way to remember which way the clocks go

Fun fact: a lot of people call it "daylight savings time" – in actual fact, the correct term is daylight saving time, without the ‘s’. Regardless of what you call it, a good way to remember which way the clocks go is to think of the old American adage "spring forward, fall back". Sure, it doesn’t work quite as well in Australia where we say autumn instead of fall but if you just remember the spring forward bit, you’ll be onto something.

When does daylight savings start?

Daylight saving 2024 starts on October 6 – clocks go forward an hour at 2am in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania and the ACT. Western Australia, the Northern Territory and Queensland don’t follow daylight saving time, making it particularly tough for Aussies who live in border towns like Coolangata, Qld, and Tweed Heads, NSW, who may have to cross time zones multiple times a day just to go to school, work and home.

And in case you’re wondering: when does daylight saving end? The first Sunday in April each year.

Set a reminder

So why should you mark the day in your diary? Because it could save your life. It’s the perfect reminder to change the batteries in your smoke alarm. According to Fire and Rescue NSW the risk of a fatality in a home fire is halved if there’s a working smoke alarm in the house.

"Smoke alarms that are installed with lead or alkaline batteries need to have the batteries replaced every 12 months," says the Fire and Rescue NSW spokesperson. "Aligning the changing of your smoke alarm batteries with daylight saving is a helpful way of remembering to do it."

Not sure how to change your smoke alarm battery? Check out our step-by-step guide How to change a smoke alarm battery.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Why daylight saving could save your life

Hi @JulieLee 

"It was first introduced in Australia as an energy conservation measure during WWI"

A little history below. Our wartime production during WW2 was appalling.

This is 1971...

Scan1674.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @JulieLee 

My vote for it is a solid yes :smile:

Mostly because it alows me to do stuff in the yard with daylight still going strong. :smile:

I generally start work early and then when I get home the sun is going down by the time the tools come out.

I wonder what the rough tally of the workshop would be? :smile: And yeah I am hopping for some answers as well :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JulieLee 

I vote yes too. It’s a shame we don’t have DST here in Queensland, because, like Dave-1 mentioned, it would let us enjoy more outdoor time while the daylight is still going strong.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects