Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which drill?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Which drill?

I looked far and wide for the best drill to buy but I'm stuck!  So reaching out to the DIY community is the logical step to take, right?!

While cordless products are handy, I'm definitely looking for a corded drill.  I'm in a rental property so doubt if I'll ever need to drill concrete.  So I think a good reversible driver drill for timber is for me!  I need durable, not too heavy, and the light (have lots of love for that addition!)!

I've done lots of research, but I'm more confused than ever!  I'm happy to pay for good lifetime endurance and high  quality.  So please share your thoughts! 

Thanks all!

Re: Which drill?

Hi again mate! @MitchellMc 

"was it making the clutch clicking noise,"

Yes, most definitely, with plenty of pressure from above.

Another example. This time soft wood and bigger gauged 75mm screws.

Ozito on the left. I simply gave up at that height seen.

Impacter on the right. It coulda bored that screw right though the wood.

Verdict = defective.

20230610_135150.jpg

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Wow thanks Noyade.  I've been at a diy course today and was using a Ryobi cordless.  I've forgotten what the teacher called the timber, but it was wide-ish strips of different grades of pine all glued together.  Some of the strips were really hard to drill!  So your comment about the performance of the Ozito has given me more food for thought (by this stage my brain wants to go on a diet!!🙄😂)

Cheers!

Tyro

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Mnhhh.  Who cares what day it is ... it's a long weekend!  Enjoy!

🤗😁

Hi MitchellMc

🙀 Did you use your Ozito for all 3?  

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi again Noyade ...not to be a nitpicker but ... it's really ok to strike 'his' for hers! 😉 😂😂

Ahh MitchellMc ... your knowledge bank is amazing!  

I need to ask a dopey question ... is the clutch the numbered dial behind the chuck?

(I thought drilling would be easy! 🤯 😂)

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Oh Noyade!  😱😪😪

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Oh TedBear!  That is a very highly excellent point! 👏   I didn't even know there was such a product as a cordless screwdriver!  And one so cute too!  What a clever (if somewhat slack!) world we live in!  I think this might be a regular companion when I'm playing at being a woodworker from now on!  Thank you 👍🏻

In accordance with your name tag I send a warm 'Thank you' e-hug! 💞

Cheers! 🤗

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tyro,

I used the Ozito on all three screws in the video.

The clutch is the number dial behind the chuck. It allows you to easily limit the power of the drill so you can't overdrive a screw too far into timber as per the last screw I drove in. I did that on purpose to illustrate that the drill has plenty of power. So, if you were driving in tiny, delicate screws, you'd set it to one or two or eight for larger screws into hardwood. Typically, once you get the hang of a drill, you'd just leave it on the most powerful setting and ease off the trigger right before the screw head is flush with the surface.

There are no silly questions around here. 😊

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi again MitchellMc!  Once again you have completed a Herculean task for me by removing the cloudy fog of confusion!  😁👏  

I have decided on three new 'toys' ...  As my budget has already been blown by my new plant addiction, I've gone with your recommended Ozito drill driver,  TedBear's Xui cordless screwdriver and Dave-1's  Makita 13mm Hammer drill.  Hopefully that combination ought to cover all of my current and future wood related tasks!  On pondering if I'm doing my usual trick of going overboard, I remember that many, many posters have more than one drill!  The extra $20 for the indulgent screwdriver is my version of a 'reward' ... healthier than chocolate! 🤣🤣

Thank you very much to all members who have provided input on this post!  It's been a great learning curve! 

Cheers and 💞 to all

Tyro 🤗

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects