Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What nails for Claymark Premium Pine Panels?

Jacquellne
Community Newcomer

What nails for Claymark Premium Pine Panels?

I bought some Claymark Premium Pine panels from Bunnings.  Can you advise which size and type nails I should use to attach them to 35mm thick pine timber?

I have cut the premium pine to 184 x 19 x 780mm and 235 x 19 x 780mm lengths.

I have checked the Claymark website but can’t find any information.

Thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What nails for Claymark Premium Pine Panels?

Hello @Jacquellne 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about what nails to use on premium pine panels.

It all depends on the type of project you are currently building. Is the panel for cosmetic display only and is not structural. Is it supporting something heavy or needs to brace a structure? Small nails such as the Paslode 40 x 2.5mm 500g Galvanised Flat Head Nails means that it will hold the panel in place but will not provide a lot of support. A larger longer nail such as the Paslode 75 x 3.75mm 100g Bright Steel Bullet Head Nails means that it can carry more load and will hold the panel in place even more. However, as the nail goes bigger, the farther in you'll need to position the nail. This is because if the nail is big and too close to the edge it will split the pine edge in two.

There is also the option of using screws. To prevent splitting the pine panel, I suggest drilling pilot holes in the timber. This will prevent damaging the panel and you still get to keep holding strength of the screw.     

Let me call on our experienced members @Nailbag and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jacquellne
Community Newcomer

Thank you - the pine timber is being used for cosmetic purpose only.  I would like to paint the timber as well so would prefer small holes from whatever I end up using.  The thickness of the pine timber panels are 19mm thick and the thickness of the timber I am attaching them to is 35mm thick.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jacquellne 

Since the panel is 19mm thick and the timber frame is 35mm, I propose using Paslode 40 x 1.6mm 100g Bright Steel Bullet Head Nails. If you are nailing the full length of the panel, I recommend a spacing of 200 to 250mm.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Jacquellne 

Typically 2.5 time the thickness of the material for the length of nails is a good rule of thumb. In this case follow @EricL recommendations which will be a great guideline for your project.

nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @Jacquellne 

As I was following the discussion along I was thinking "Bullet head nails" lol @EricL 's idea hit it square on. you could also use a Craftright 3 Piece Nail Set Punch to push the nail a little deeper into the timber so you can putty over and then sand and paint.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects