Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What marble cleaning products for floor and benchtop?

housie
Getting Established

What marble cleaning products for floor and benchtop?

Hi, any recommendations of cleaning products for marble floor and marble benchtop? Unsure about when the surfaces may have been last sealed by the previous owner. Trying to find a good product for regular cleaning in living area and bathroom. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Marble cleaning products for floor and benchtop

Hi @housie,

I can recommend Hillmark 375ml Stone Kleen And Protect Marble Granite Cleaner , which cleans, shines and protects marble benchtops from stains. 

For the floor, it's a bit more complex. I am unaware of any products that are marketed toward cleaning marble floors. I've talked to a few suppliers, and it seems to be a case that marble floors get sealed, so you're not actually cleaning the marble; you're cleaning the sealer. For that, you'd really only want to use a mild detergent in some warm water. You might then ask, well, what's the difference between benchtop marble and floors? I can only fathom that it's because benchtops are typically finished to a higher polish level, and they are less likely to become porous and adversely affected by chemicals.

You need to be very careful with marble as if your floor sealer has worn through, chemicals can permanently stain it. It might be best to have your floors assessed, coated if necessary, and then use the cleaning products specified by the sealer manufacturer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
housie
Getting Established

Thanks @MitchellMc , especially for the detailed explanations.

If the floor sealer has worn through, is it "safe" to use a pH neutral floor cleaner to keep the floor cleanish before we have the time and resources to get professional service? Maybe diluted?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd recommend you do a test section first in an inconspicuous area @housie. Unsealed Marble is highly susceptible to stains from cleaning products.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
housie
Getting Established

Thanks @MitchellMc !

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects