Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What barn door tracks to suit 18mm thick door?

MJR
Finding My Feet

What barn door tracks to suit 18mm thick door?

I'm looking to install a barn door in place of an existing hinged door in a garage work area. I was hoping to use one of the pre-finished and less expensive doors like this 18mm MDF door  https://www.bunnings.com.au/inbuilt-18-x-2100-x-1000mm-avellino-valence-oak-internal-barn-door-mdf-m...    but the instructions for the tracks all seem to say they suit 35-45mm thick doors. I am wondering if this is only if you choose to run a groove along the bottom for the T guide? If instead I used a U shaped floor guide like https://www.bunnings.com.au/rolltrak-matte-black-barn-door-guide_p0297020 would that suit an 18mm door? I know I would need shorter fixing screws to mount the side-fit brackets to the door, but is there anything else that would prevent this track from working on a thinner door? https://www.bunnings.com.au/rolltrak-2000-x-40-x-6mm-matte-black-smooth-finish-barn-door-track-side-...

Also, can that track be cut-to-size in length to reduce it from 2000mm to 1900mm?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Barn door tracks to suit 18mm thick door

Hi @MJR,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

I believe they are saying that the tracks suit a 35-45mm door as this is the standard thickness for most doors. Realistically, the 18mm door is going to weigh less than a 35-45mm door anyway so I don't see any issues with using this track with this door. The only thing to consider is that the face of the door will sit the same distance from the wall as a 35mm or 45mm door. This means there will be a larger void between the door opening and the door. Not really an issue, just something to be aware of.

As you have suggested, you would need to shorten the bolts included in the mounting kit, but this is fairly easy to do with a hacksaw.

Looking at the instructions for the Rolltrak Matte Black Barn Door Guide, it looks like the guides are adjustable along the full width of the slot, so I'm fairly certain you could adjust them to suit an 18mm door which would certainly make them easier to use than a T guide.

Also looking at the instructions for the Rolltrak 2000 x 40 x 6mm Matte Black Smooth Finish Barn Door Track Side Fix Set, I can't see any reason you couldn't remove 50mm at each end of the track to slightly reduce its length. You would however need to repaint the ends of the track to match the rest.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

MJR
Finding My Feet

Re: Barn door tracks to suit 18mm thick door

Wonderful. Thanks for the reply   I'll post photos to confirm for others in future once the job is done. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects