Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wainscoting entry hallway overhaul

SaadMalik
Building a Reputation

Wainscoting entry hallway overhaul

Decided to decorate the entry hallway walls with panel moudling and I think the result came out pretty good. Wasn't sure if i will be able to do it but this forum has been very helpful to ask questions every time i got stuck.

I think it came out very good and has truly transformed the space.

Hopefully my effort inspire other people to take up similar projects as well.

Steps

Step 1

- Took the measurements of the walls and draw a rough plan on paper.

- Marked out the outlines on the walls to get an idea on how it looks. Really recommend  Stanley 1200mm High Impact ABS Resin Spirit Level - Bunnings Australia.

- Locate the studs and use a tape or similar to mark out the location.

- Cut the pine mould to size. Pine mould used is Porta 30x12mm 2.4m Panel Mould Clear Pine - Bunnings Australia

- I used the craftright mitre box to cut the pine Craftright Mitre Box And Saw Set - Bunnings Australia

- Stick the mould on the wall along the pencil lining. I used selley fast grab liquid and Nailed them into the studs using a Ryobi Brad nailer. The vertical panels I only used glue as they did not line up with the studs. Fill the holes with wood filler.

- I ended up with joints between the moulds so used Timbermate wood filler. A tip would be to use this as little as possible. I was quite generous initially and it became a time consuming task to sand it all down.

- For the chair rail install would really recommend using a laser level to get your line. i used 66 x 11mm 5.4m Moulding White Pine FJ Primed Colonial SA1 - Bunnings Australia

- Double check the chair rail height from the top of skirting is consistent all the way through. use the stanley spirit level as it also has a ruler. This is to make sure you get it a perfect horizontal on the chair rail.

- Taped around the pine to prime it. Remove the tape when the primer is dry.

PHOTO-2024-04-02-09-54-40 (1).jpgPHOTO-2024-04-02-09-54-40 (2).jpgPHOTO-2024-04-02-09-54-40 (3).jpgPHOTO-2024-04-02-09-54-40 (5).jpgPHOTO-2024-04-02-09-54-40 (6).jpgPHOTO-2024-04-02-09-54-40 (7).jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Wainscoting entry hallway overhaul

Afternoon @SaadMalik 

:smile: From a very plain hall to something that has a lot of class. You really have lifted that space out of the dolldrums. Even to the point of me wondering how I could incorporate the trim into my own short hallway :smile:

Nice work and well worth it.

Dave

SaadMalik
Building a Reputation

Thanks for your kind words Dave. I hope it encourages you try something exciting for your hallway.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Panel moulding entry hallway overhaul

Hi @SaadMalik 

Thank you very much for sharing the details of your wainscotting project. It looks very modern and stylish. I'm in total agreement with Dave-1 and think that this would be a worthwhile addition even in a short hallway. 

Again, thanks for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Asad
Finding My Feet

Hi @SaadMalik can you tell what is size of box? It looks stunning 

SaadMalik
Building a Reputation

Hi @Asad - thank you for the compliment.

The boxes are about 900mm wide by about 550mm deep inner dimensions. However they are not the same on each wall, i had to play around with the width to make all the boxes uniform in size.

20240831_171058.jpg

 looks pretty 😍 

20240830_212741.jpg

 just started mine. Looks good and its really hard to keep everything aligned 😄will caulk and paint now.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @Asad 

Looking pretty swish! :smile: Nice work.

Dave

SaadMalik
Building a Reputation

Hello @Asad - you have done an outstanding job. It’s coming really well!

Saad

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects