Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sledgehammer handle repair

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Sledgehammer handle repair

We all borrow tools for doing various jobs, and sometimes they break on us 😕 

This was a sledge hammer I borrowed from work and broke the handle. So time to repair it.

Like to think it was my strength that broke it but pretty sure the timber base was already splintered :smile:

Materials

Sledge Hammer Handle 825mm 

Handle (Hammer) Wedges 

Tools

Ozito Battery powered drill 

10mm drill

Hammer

Screwdriver (deaths head)

Coping saw 165mm 

Chisel 

Steps

Step 1

I borrowed a Sledge hammer from work to break up a concrete path down the side of the house. Made it half way before it broke loudly! It wasnt a difficult repair but fiddly when i was trying to get the old timber handle out without damaging the actual sledge part.

01 18-04-2021.jpg

The handle split right up the center.

02 18-04-2021.jpg03 18-04-2021.jpg

You can see the tape repair someone has done previously.It held it together for a fair while but I was really using it.

04 18-04-2021.jpg

Drilled out holes to remove the old handle

05 18-04-2021.jpg

I was careful when drilling not to spear my leg. It was hard trying hold the handle and drill at the same time. I should have wedged the handle into something.

06 18-04-2021.jpg

Three holes in and just started to be able to wiggle it out. I was paranoid about drilling into the actual metal head for some reason. In reality it would take a LOT of effort to damage it.

07 18-04-2021.jpg

Used a deaths head screwdriver (It has a metal spine straight down the center so you can hammer it without the handle breaking but for electrical work its a no no.

Used the two screwdrivers and a hammer to remove the timber bits.

Step 2

Next step was to replace the handle. I do have a question someone may know the answer to. Should I have soaked the timber and head in water before putting in the metal wedges to expand the timber and lock the head in? I did it when dry and the timber did split but was still solid.

08 18-04-2021.jpg

Cleaned up the head.

09 19-04-2021.jpg

Tools I used to make the handle fit the head. I didnt end up needing the chisel or saw.

10 19-04-2021.jpg

Mmm Scary as it doesn't fit too easily, Trimmed a little to make it fit.

11 19-04-2021.jpg

Steady as she goes. 

12 19-04-2021.jpg

I used the weight of the head to tap downwards and the timber went through no worries.

14 19-04-2021.jpg

The metal wedges. 

15 19-04-2021.jpg

Now here is the question. What should I have done to stop the timber splitting? Even If I used only one edge I still felt that the timber would have split. Maybe if I soaked the whole head in a bucket of water overnight? But who wants to rust their tools?

16 19-04-2021.jpg

It worked a treat. Solid as a rock and no movement. There was no way the head would come off with the wedges in it even tho it splintered a little. I ended up buying a fibreglass Sledge hammer to help reduce the jarring as I still had at least the same again of concrete breaking to do.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sledgehammer repair

Hi @Dave-1 

Thanks for sharing that sledgehammer repair project. That duct tape from the old handle was a sure sign that the handle needed replacing.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects