Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shipping container converted into a cyclone shelter

Bill55
Finding My Feet

Shipping container converted into a cyclone shelter

Find a good condition container, transport it to my island, get an engineer to design cyclone-proof footings, get a crane to position it, design interior layout, find cyclone-proof doors and windows and get welder to install these and weld container to footings. Then paint interior, and source appropriate furniture, and get electrician and plumber to wire and plumb it. Wired it into a 10KW solar battery storage used by the main house.

Materials

Container from ABC

Windows and doors from Latham’s Steel, WA

Furniture from garage sales

Toilet: Mondello Concerto, Bunnings

Shower mixer: Methven, Bunnings 

Tools

Steps

Step 1

Find reasonably priced container with minimal rust. Then arrange transport via ferry to Magnetic Island.

Step 2

Get engineer to design cyclone proof footings 

Step 3

Find crane to put containers in position, and time it so the cost of bringing the crane on the barge could be shared with other jobs on the island.

IMG_3205.jpeg

Step 4

Design interior layout. Eg. Does it need shower? Decided to put it outside (it’s FNQ so hot enough) to save internal space. 

Step 5

Choose style, as this affects what furniture and appliances. Wanted something cosy so went with retro/granny-flat/Victorian with walls and shutters hand painted by a

IMG_4338.jpeg

IMG_4335.jpeg

local artist. A butlers sink, high gloss solid timber furniture, retro lighting, tea pot with cosy, and an antique chaise longue added to the feel. In first photo container door is open, but normally this is closed.

Step 6

Landscaped around it by adding plants and pavers with pebbles to soften its look.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: converting a shipping container into a cyclone shelter

What a fantastic project @Bill55! I'm sure you are really pleased with the results.

I think this is the first time I've seen a shipping container with such an impressive vanity; I love what you did there.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects