Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to deal with silicon rubber when painting sliding doors?

mariannastefani
Just Starting Out

How to deal with silicon rubber when painting sliding doors?

Hello beautiful people, please help me here. 

I am painting the metal frame of my old sliding doors. 

I put tape around and applied the primer and than a white coat but... I don't know what to do with the black silicon around the glass. I wasn't able to cover it with masking tape, no matter how careful I was, some paint slipped so I gave in and put the masking take on the glass only and painted the silicon.

Ps: I didn't use metal primer on the silicon, but only acrylic paint, as I read the metal primer would crack on plastic surfaces. 

I haven't put the white enamel top coat yet,  before I do it I need someone adlvice because I am not sure.

The things are two:

- I find a way to properly cover the silicon or

- I keep going with acrylic paint on the rubber and then put the enamel on top of everything. 

What do you think? 

17197061705646545498191750718606.jpg

17197062342595348842802673689293.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: painting silicon robber of sliding doors

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mariannastefani. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a sliding door.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is going to be a painting method or product I can recommend, as none of our paints have rubber listed as a suitable surface. They might work but it wouldn't be recommended by the manufacturers.

To prevent paint from getting on the seal, you could try using a paint edge trim to shield the seal whilst painting. Alternatively, you could try tapes that have a stronger adhesive such as cloth tape.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects