Workshop
Ask a question

How to rodent-proof a house?

Shelle3
Community Newcomer

How to rodent-proof a house?

Rodents are finding their way into our home. They’ve created holes themselves by chewing their way through the bottom of a door (through the rubber stripping). Would using bait attract more rodents into the house, especially given there are known rodent access points? Should we first be sealing the known rodent access points and using traps inside (so we can quickly locate and discard of dead mice), or would using baiting stations first help eradicate the rodent issue? Or should use of baiting stations and sealing the holes occur simultaneously? Also, is any option better if a pregnant woman lives in the house? Thanks a lot for your help! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rodent proofing

Hello @Shelle3 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about rodent proofing your home.

One of the first things I propose is eliminating exposed sources of food and water. Mice and rodents are often attracted to sources of food and water; By covering the food source and cleaning the floor with bleach you'll eliminate the trail of food. If you have pets inside the house, I don't recommend putting bait inside as they might accidentally eat it. It's best to leave the traps and baits outside so that your pets will be safe.

In regards to repairing your door, I suggest doing it as soon as possible to prevent further incursions into your house. If you need to handle the bait stations yourself, please make sure to wear disposable gloves.

Here is a link to our best advice: What is the best way to get rid of rats and mice?    

I also suggest having a look at these discussions: 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects