Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to varnish paint on furniture?

2LPP
Just Starting Out

How to varnish paint on furniture?

image.jpg

image.jpg

We’re doing a furniture refurbishment and having issues with the varnish finish leaving “wet look” marks on the paint. It’s an oil-based matte varnish. We did the first 2 coats of varnish with foam brushes and worked really well. There were drip marks so used a fine grit sanding paper to try and smooth this to apply last coat of varnish and exposed flecks of the white undercoat… (this is due to not sanding between paint coats). So we applied a new coat of paint, dried perfect, new coat of varnish and then a 2nd coat which has dried streaky/wet lol ok in places. We lightly sanded between last varnish… 

any hints to stop get a perfect finish with matte varnish?? Sand between coats? Don’t sand? One coat on paint or use a water based varnish on paint?? 

2LPP
Just Starting Out

Oil based varnish or water based varnish to seal water-based paint?

image.jpg

Hi there, 

What varnish or topcoat is best to be used to seal water based paint?? INDOOR furniture 
using taubmans  easy coat paint with Bondall monocle Matt varnish. 
we’re getting a wet look in parts of the varnish when dried. Not sure how to stop this. Have used a foam brush for varnish application and also a microfibre roller. 

Is it best to use water based products together? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Oil based varnish or water based varnish to seal water-based paint?

Hi @2LPP,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us.

It's certainly important to ensure products are compatible. 

Can you please start by telling us what you are painting, and whether it is for indoor or outdoor use? 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ah, I see you have made another post. Let me join the discussions together so members can see the context @2LPP.

Please note that a couple of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are taking a well-earned break at the moment, so there might be a bit of a delay before one can get back to you. 

Jason

2LPP
Just Starting Out

Thanks Jason, it’s indoor furniture. 
restoring an old dresser and we sanded all back to the original hard wood before base coat, paint and varnish. 
Looking forward to hearing from the D.I.Y experts when they are back from recharging 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @2LPP 

The Bondall 1L Matt Monocel Clear Varnish is not a water-based product and it's probably the reason why you are not getting the finish you're after. Generally speaking, it's best to use the same type of base along with the same type of brand. A water-based clear coat on top of a water-based paint would have a better chance of producing the matt look you're going for. Unfortunately, Taubmans does not have a clear coat available. 

However, there are water-based sealers such as Cabot's 1L Matt Water Based Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Varnish, but I can't make any guarantees as they are different brands. Another option would be to use Dulux Wash&Wear Matt Finish to get the matt finish. 

If you wish to give the Cabot's clear a try, I propose doing a quick test on a timber offcut, paint the surface with your Taubmans paint and wait for it to cure, then apply the Cabot's varnish. You'll then be able to tell if the finish comes out matt. The immediate sign of incompatibility is the clear coat won't cure properly or it does not dry off to a matt finish. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects