Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop water leaking between first and second storey?

dt2wright
Just Starting Out

How to stop water leaking between first and second storey?

20240709_163430.jpg

Last year, I moved into a 10yo double story house. Recently, when it has rained, I've noticed water leaking into the bottom level of the house. A thermal camera has shown water is leaking through the aluminum strip, which sits flat on the bricks and separates the brickwork and the render on the first and second story. It has been siliconed so water does not enter the house above the aluminum strip, however the silicone has started to fail letting water enter the house. Is it worth re-silicone the gap between the aluminum strip and the house, or replace with a more permanent solution? Any recommendations? Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water leaking between first and second storey

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dt2wright. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about solving a water leak.

It sounds like siliconing the gap is not a permanent solution. If the silicone has lasted ten years, then reapplying it could give you another ten. It would be best to remove the current silicone and use Sikaflex 11FC instead, which is a polyurethane sealant of superior quality to silicone. As a secondary measure, I'd recommend that flashing be placed over the joint. The flashing should start on the wall above and then transfer out onto the aluminium strip. This should help water running down the wall travel off and over the aluminium instead of pooling on the joint.

Given the height, it would be best to have a professional complete this work.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects