Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to strip paint off window frames?

KMc1
Finding My Feet

How to strip paint off window frames?

The windows in my new apartment have been badly painted so that they stick when closing.

Hoping to either:

A) Sand back the sides so they can close easily

OR

B) Strip all paint off the frames and finish with varnish so they have a wood look.

I would appreciate any advice as to the best way to go about this!

CunninghamSt_Lounge_1.jpeg

CunninghamSt_Bedroom.jpeg

CunninghamSt_Kitchen_1.jpeg

IMG_1324.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Strip paint off window frames

Hello @KMc1 

Thanks for sharing your question about repainting your window frames. When windows get stuck or become sticky to open, there could be a number of reasons why. It's possible that too much paint was put on and left no space for the window panel to open in or out. Part of the frame was unpainted, and it has started to swell due to moisture exposure. The window frame itself has gone out of square.

If you are planning on staining and varnishing the window frame, it will need to be sanded back to wood and all the paint taken off. This is to allow the stain and varnish to be absorbed into the timber pores. Painting over an unsanded surface will result in the stain and varnish to dry on the surface and peel off.

However, if you decide to repaint the the window frame with ordinary paint, this would be the best opportunity to sand the sides of the window frame so that it does not stick when being closed. This would also be the best time to make sure that there is enough space for the paint when the window is closed.

My best advice is to invest in an electric detail sander, this will allow you to get into the tight corners of the window frame.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint timber window frames

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Herrenovacation
Having an Impact

Hi @KMc1 

I personally plan to strip all paint off the frames and finish with varnish so they have a wood look, I understand this is a lengthy process. 

I have seen some people complete the job while leaving the windows in place but a lot of people remove them completely. 

I hope to leave them in place myself but have not yet worked out the game plan so I look forward to seeing what you do and how you do it. 

Hi @Herrenovacation 

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress photos of this project as well. It will be interesting to see what the final outcome will be.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects