Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop debris getting into the subfloor space?

Chris1256
Getting Established

How to stop debris getting into the subfloor space?

Looking at cleaning and maintaining the subfloor space, I have found some great ideas about the insulation which is really going to help in winter, but summer has got me thinking, keeping leaves, debris and other combustibles out??

has anyone else come up with a good cheap solution?

My space goes further under the house as well but I would like to know what others have done?14.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop debris getting into the subfloor space?

Hi @Chris1256,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

There are a number of possibilities, but it would be hard to say what will work without seeing the area. 

Is it possible to get some photos of the entrance to your subfloor space? This will help our members offer advice that is specific to your circumstances. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images, more than happy to assist.

An idea that pops to mind is some screening like @Adam_W has produced in his handy how to article, How to build timber screening. You could go for a painted look like Adam_W has, or a bare timber look with some merbau or spotted gum.

You could maybe add some mesh panels, merbau slat fence panels or bamboo screening.

It would all depend on your style and the specifics of your situation, so some photos will definitely help.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any ideas @Nailbag, @Dave-1, @JoeAzza, @ProjectPete.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need some assistance uploading images.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Aftenoon @Chris1256 

Must say love the way the stay wires look under your deck!

Will wait until there are a few more pics of the underneath area you are talking about. Im not sure what type of screen you can have. I know it might be an idea to hit up the local firebrigade to find out what screens stop embers ect during bushfire season.

Apart from keeping the area underneath free of new growth and maybe cutting backthe trees/shrubs next to the deck id be looking into products such as these, Bushfire Mesh to do the dual job of keeping debris out and also embers.

Dave

Chris1256
Getting Established

Have been looking around and had a look here in this Bushfire blog they mention less than 2mm aperture mesh and in there they mention Bunnings has this Mesh unsure if they make a larger size?

After reading it may be a good idea to clad the underfloor wood with non-combustible cladding, again the goods are here and available, https://www.bunnings.com.au/brands/f/fire-safe-cladding

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Chris1256 

The only bigger mesh I could find is the Cyclone 910mm x 6m Ember Guard™ Flyscreen. You'll definitely get better coverage with this, and you won't have to purchase too much of it.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Chris1256
Getting Established

That looks the goods, plus 6m wide, this will definitely be worth a look at, i suppose that would be good for sealing all gaps then with some kind of BAL Rated Glue?

-Found this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-600ml-grey-flame-flex-fire-and-acoustic-sealant_p0035020

Its actually not looking too bad getting this all done properly.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Chris1256,

The Selleys 600ml Grey Flame Flex Fire And Acoustic Sealant is more suited to sealing small gaps, such as around windows or plumbing penetrations where BAL rated sealants are required.

It may be a useful product for some of your other projects, but it would not be the most effective for attaching the mesh to the timber posts. 

I'd suggest using mechanical fixings such as a Galvanised Staple Nail if the posts are timber or a Tek Screw if they are metal.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects