Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal timber furniture without changing the colour of the timber?

TessLockyer
Just Starting Out

How to seal timber furniture without changing the colour of the timber?

I have stripped back and sanded a few pieces of timber furniture. I am wanting to keep the raw timber finish/colour. I bought Bunnings soft wax (clear) and sampled some on the timber but it has changed the colour i am after. What product do i need to seal the furniture without compromising the colour i want?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal timber furniture without changing the colour of the timber?

Hi @TessLockyer,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

There are a variety of clear oils and varnishes that can be used, however, some slight changes in the timber's colour are likely.

Can you advise what species of timber you are coating? Also, is it going to be indoors or outdoors? 

I can make some enquiries with our suppliers about the best product for your specific circumstances once I have a few more details.

Also, allow me to tag @arfabuck who is as an antique furniture restorer by trade and is likely to have advice to offer.

Let me know how you go.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects