Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal exposed concrete ceilings?

miregui
Just Starting Out

How to seal exposed concrete ceilings?

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on sealing a concrete ceiling. I see many products available, like the Bastion 15L Matte Concrete Sealer, but these seem geared towards floors and walls.

I've heard that using these types of sealers on ceilings can lead to bubbles forming due to gravity.

There are also specialized products for ceilings, like those offered by Conqor (link: https://conqor.net/), but these often require spraying.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience using the Bastion Matte Concrete Sealer on a ceiling, or if there might be a more suitable product that doesn't require spraying.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal exposed concrete ceilings?

Hello @miregui 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your exposed concrete ceiling.

Can you please tell us a little bit more about your concrete ceiling? Are you experiencing condensation or is there a leak coming through? Or are you just after a general sealant that will protect the surface from dust and debris.

I'll need to ask our suppliers regarding the sealers we have if it can be used for high horizontal applications. Is the ceiling rendered or is it rough and unfinished. Any other extra information you can provide about your ceiling will be very much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
miregui
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric, 

Thank you very much for your prompt response!

We are just after a general sealant tha will protect the surface from dust and humidity. This is a brand new build and the concrete is unfinished. 

The ideal product recommended by architect friends is this: https://markhamglobal.com.au/products/aquron-2000/  however this has to be applied by professionals so I'm looking for a DIY solution. Again, there are concerns regrading bubbles, degradation of the sealant due to gravity, etc. For us is important that the product has NIL or low VOC.

Thank you very much!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @miregui,

I am unaware of any products specifically designed for ceilings. Products like Crommelin 15L Water Based Concrete And Paving Sealer would likely work and there shouldn't be any issues with bubbling due to it being a ceiling. However, any moisture that comes through the concrete will result in it pooling on the sealer and could potentially cause it to delaminate. This product is low VOC.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects