Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to retile an area using thinner tiles?

MackaQLD
Getting Established

How to retile an area using thinner tiles?

Hi, I previously had to retile a small area of my laundry that used to have the hot water heater. 

Due to passage of time from when it was originally tiled, I couldn't find the exact same tile again. I could find one that was pretty much similar, but it was thinner than the original one. 

I retiled with it- but there is a small little dip when you walk onto it.

I may need to retile more of the laundry if I move some more around- how can I use the thinner tile but make it the same height as the existing thicker tiles? or will it just be easier to remove everything and start again with the thinner tile?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to retile an area using thinner tiles?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MackaQLD. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing tiles.

What sort of height difference are we talking about here? If it's a substantial amount, you could possibly install James Hardie 1800 x 1200 x 6mm 2.16m² Ceramic Tile Underlay Flooring. Or, if it's only a tiny amount you can look at using a larger notched trowel. Say you used a 6mm trowel and the tiles are slightly sunken, try a 10mm trowel as it will apply a thicker amount of adhesive. With the thicker adhesive the tile won't bed down as far. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc looking at between 3 and 4 mm difference in thickness between the tiles.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds achievable by adding a thicker layer of adhesive @MackaQLD. It might be worth doing a test section to see. Until the adhesive has cured, you'd need to be careful not to walk back over the tiles once they have been laid as your weight be cause them to sink.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects