Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace supporting posts?

Russ42
Having an Impact

How to replace supporting posts?

I have discovered the posts holding up the roof at the front of the house have rusted off at the base. There are 5 all up but I have started on 2 which are the worst. They are spaced about 2.4m apart and have a set of sliding doors between them and windows on each side, all floor to ceiling. My plan is to cut them off near the top and have new galvanized bases welded on (these have been fabricated and are 1.9m long). Originally, the posts were set onto Hebel Powerpanels. The outside is a verandah with a slurry of concrete sloping to the outer edge. This means the top of this is higher than the inside of the house and the base of the posts. My plan is to set the new post about 40mm higher and also move the door set and the window sets up 40mm. This will create a "hob" (?) which should keep the water from entering the house. What should I use under the posts to make up that 40mm? Any other suggestions? Builders don't call back.

IMG_4575.JPGIMG_4571.JPG

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects