Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace screen door runner?

kgr
Finding My Feet

How to replace screen door runner?

So I made the mistake of watching YouTube to find the answer to my screen door problem and used a screw driver to get out the runner bracket part but now I can't figure out if its an easy replace the broken bracket and runner or if its a real stuff up and there's a thick screw inside that I think was holding the runner bracket In place and the screw to undo that has been threaded and can't come out.

The only solution I can see is to take it to a door place and get it all fixed up. 

Is there a way I can fix it? 

And it turns out the runners just popped off given a little nudge,which I found

1000000654.jpg

1000000655.jpg

out on the other runner. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to replace screen door runner?

Hi @kgr,

Apologies that a couple of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are taking a well-earned break at the moment, so there might be a bit of a delay before one can get back to you. 

I suspect they would recommend you head into your local Bunnings Warehouse with the broken parts and try to see if you can find a match. For example, in this previous discussion about sliding door runners@EricL said recommended the Rolltrak Security Door Carriage and Roller as a possible match. He suggested bringing the old assembly into the store to compare for height and width, and for the wheel there were a number of possible replacements such as the Rolltrak 32mm Replacement Roller

Hope that helps.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kgr
Finding My Feet

Cheers thanks Jason . My main issue is there's a screw that is on the inside on a diagonal that won't come out and I'm not sure those brackets would fit. The ones I have aren't solid like those are but I'll take the pieces in and see. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kgr 

Your wheels appear to be of a standard size, I recommend measuring the size of the hole in your screen door as there might be a compatible set that just slides in such as the Cowdroy Security Screen Wheel Sliding Door Track Accessory, Rolltrak Adjustable Heavy Duty Nylon Carriage And Roller, Rolltrak Adjustable Nylon Carriage And Acetal Roller and the Rolltrak Security Door Plastic Carriage And Acetal Roller. There is no need to worry about the stuck screw inside the screen as long as the replacement set fits and does not hit it. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

kgr
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric I went into bunnings today but the guy wasn't very helpful. 

The width is 3.5 cm and the ones he gave me based on your links are all to wide. 

I showed him the photo and tried to explain that the width was 3.5 but he was not quite understanding. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kgr,

What about the Rolltrak Security Door Plastic Carriage And Acetal Roller? The internal section that slots into the door is slightly larger than 31.6mm, so I wouldn't have thought that was too wide if you have 35mm.

Mitchell

I missed getting that one. Got the first 3 and thought I'd try those and the last one is the one that should fit. 

Thank you. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hopefully it works @kgr. Finger crossed.

Mitchell

So I went to bunnings and asked for the right one, bought it home, it doesn't fit. Turns out it's the wrong one even though the girl scanned it to check. 

I've attached what I received. Not sure how to get the right one when this is the one that was in the right box and scanned. 

Also I took a photo of the bit inside the runner area. This bit doesn't come out so I can't see how the fitting will fit up into the space. Any thoughts? 

1000000743.jpg

1000000734.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kgr,

That does appear to be the Rolltrak Security Door Plastic Carriage And Acetal Roller that I mentioned as they both carry the same model number of 3032. Was it the size of it that caused it not to fit? He's a scaled printable sheet for verification purposes.

The fitting inside the door appears to have a spring mechanism. If you push it, does it retract into the frame, allowing you to insert the carriage?

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects