Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to render around internal windows?

anna123
Finding My Feet

How to render around internal windows?

Good afternoon, 

We have recently had new aluminium windows installed and needing to render around internally.

There are no architraves.

How do you suggest we move forward with the rendering?.

Can we render over the aluminium bit that is attached to the brick wall?.

Thickness of rendering. 

Can we use ready made render?

If so, which do you recommend?

Also, should the blue board allign with existing brick wall?.

Thank you very much in advance.

Anna

20241007_122326.jpg

20241007_122346.jpg

20241007_105501.jpg

20241007_105507.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to render around internal windows?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @anna123. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about rendering.

When rendering around your new aluminium windows, it's best not to render directly over the aluminium section attached to the brick wall. Rendering over metal surfaces can cause adhesion issues and may lead to cracking over time. Instead, focus on rendering the brick or plasterboard surrounding the window while keeping the aluminium clear.

The thickness of the render typically ranges from 5 to 10mm, depending on the existing surface and the finish you're after. It’s important to apply it evenly and build up thin layers if needed, ensuring a smooth result.

You can certainly use a ready-made render mix, which is convenient and easy to work with. For internal rendering, a pre-mixed product like Dunlop Multipurpose Render would be ideal. Just follow the manufacturer's instructions for the best results.

As for the blueboard, it should ideally align flush with the brick wall to create a smooth, continuous surface for rendering. This helps ensure a professional, seamless finish without any awkward transitions between materials.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to render.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much for the prompt reply Mitchell.

We are very much beginner DIY so your advise is greatly appreciated.

I am unsure if you were able to see the photos that I attached of the installed windows?

What do you suggest that I do then if we cannot render over the aluminium?.

We are unable to add reveals now unfortunately as it will affect the lock or closing mechanism piece.

Anna

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

All community members can see your photos @anna123.

Please note there will be a delay before one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts can get back to you. Let me tag a couple of other community members for their thoughts: @Nailbag and @Dave-1

Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Jason

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @anna123 

I would consider doubling up on the facing blue-board so the wall was continuous flat across the face. Then use an angled trim on the corner edge to increase strength and provide a straight edged line. And maybe something like a tile trim to finish the render up to the window reveal.

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-10-08 at 8.57.31 PM.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @anna123 

Those are excellent suggestions from @Nailbag. I totally agree with the suggestion of using the trims to get a uniform finish on the wall, I propose going to the store and examining the trims that you can use on your wall. Adding a second layer to the blueboard is a quick solution when you have uneven walls. The only other thing I can add to the recommendations made is to make sure that you have all the parts you need before you begin to render.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Morning @anna123 

I like @Nailbag's suggestion tho not sure if the sill itself will work out with your locking mechanisim?

Any chance of a photo to show the window as a whole and also one of the sill and lock?

Dave

Thanks so much for your reply.

Yes, that is the tricky part. 

I will try to upload another photo.

Thank you so much for your reply and suggestions.

Thank you so much for your suggestions and adding to the photo, that is super helpful.

The plan is actually to have plantation shutters installed as well.

Would a super thin trim be a good idea?.

If you zoom in on the screw they have used a plastic 'thing' have been used when putting the screw in. Perhaps we can remove that?.

I am worried that if we render, the window will rust?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects