Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace putty around timber windows?

lisajk
Getting Established

How to replace putty around timber windows?

Good afternoon, I am in the process of repainting the exterior of my 120 year old house, and have a few questions in relation to the windows.  I have removed all of the old putty around the windows and have sanded.  After doing some research I believe that the next step is to paint the windows with an oil-based primer.  Then once the primer has dried, apply a linseed-oil based putty.  Can anyone advise the best primer and putty to use?

Once the putty has dried, do I then need to repaint with the primer? Or do I just need to undercoat when undercoating the rest of the windows.

Also, if I am using an oil-based primer can I use a water-based paint when painting the windows?  I plan on using a water-based paint on the rest of the house as I find this easier to work with.

One final question, is Dulux Weathershield the best exterior paint to use or is there a better product to use?  I have heard Resene or Haymes are also good.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to have to repaint again for a long time so want to get this right.  Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

20230331_080606.jpg20230331_080622.jpg20230331_080633.jpgl

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace putty around timber windows?

Hello @lisajk 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about re-glazing your windows.

I suggest using Dulux 1L PRECISION Sealer Binder White. This is a superior primer as it seals porous areas, binds chalky surfaces and is oil-based. Once the primer has cured, you can then apply Selleys 450g Linseed Oil Special Putty to glaze the window. 

I suggest letting the putty dry out for at least 3 weeks before putting any primer on it. You'll be able to tell as soon as you put the primer on it, the paint will stay in place instead of sliding around and forming gaps.

The Dulux Precision primer is totally compatible with the all the Dulux topcoats, so it's fine to use a water-based paint such as the Dulux Weathershield

I've used Dulux paint before, and it's always provided excellent coverage and protection.   

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@lisajk, excellent advice from @EricL as always, if you haven’t puttied a window before, you will need a putty knife or similar, also you will have to nead the putty before application, it makes it a lot easier to apply. I suggest looking at YouTube videos on line on how to install the putty.

JoeAzza_0-1680263601712.png

lisajk
Getting Established

Thanks Eric for the really helpful advice.  Very much appreciated.  Have bought the products and plan tackle the job over Easter.  Cheers

lisajk
Getting Established

Thanks Joe, have had a look at a few Youtube clips - hopefully know what I am doing.  Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lisajk

Please keep us updated with your progress, should you run into any issues, don't hesitate to post a question.

Eric

lisajk
Getting Established

Hi Eric and Joe,

Just thought I would update you on my progress.  After applying the primer a few weeks ago, I finally got around to using the putty.  Not completely happy with the result - a bit lumpy and I had trouble getting the corners smooth.  But for my first attempt I don't think I have done too bad.  I will now leave if for 3 weeks and then apply another coat of primer.

20230425_171852.jpg20230425_171911.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lisajk 

Thank you very much for the update, the putty looks very well placed. As long as the glass is properly sealed a bit of bumpiness should not affect its performance. 

Please remember that rainy days will slow down the curing time of the putty.

We look forward to your next update.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects