Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace downlights?

farhanhubble
Finding My Feet

How to replace downlights?

20240713_122223.jpg

 Hi!

I've a old downlight that's blown and needs replacement. It's an incandescent one (halogen) and I'd like to replace it with an LED one with a higher output power. When I pulled out the lamp I could see that the adapter for this downlight is sitting on some sort of a separator whose purpose seems to keep sufficient distance between the ceiling and the adapter, possibly for safety reasons.

I couldn't manage to take a clearer picture but the adapter that looks faint blue is sitting on top of the spacers and zip tied to it. 

My understanding is that I need to cut the zip tie and pull out the adapter and hopefully I'll find the other end of the adapter connected to a power outlet. I need to then connect the new adapter to this outlet.

Any tips on how to do this? As the cutout is too small any tools that I'd need?

Best, 

Farhan 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing Downlights

Hi @farhanhubble,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Unfortunately, this looks like you're going to need the assistance of an electrician.

There are two types of downlights that are common, hardwired and quick connect.

Quick connect downlights will have a single cable coming out the back of them that resembles an extension lead.

I believe that you have a hardwired downlight system, which means they are not easily disconnected and changed over.

You might like to use a service such as HiPages or True Local to find an electrician in your area.

Jacob

Thank you @JacobZ. Will find someone who can fix it. 

DIYGnome
Becoming a Leader

Hello @farhanhubble 🖐

That downlight is a low voltage type behind the bulb assembly you will find a 2 pin socket connected via 2 wires to the transformer attached above the plastic "cage" which keeps the transformer (which gets hot) up away from anything that would impede it's heat dissipation, you can use directly compatible 12v LED downlight bulbs with a similar casing (see link below) however you need to run the replacements at the same or lower output (LEDS consume less wattage at equivalent outputs), however you will be limited to whatever is available for MR16 fixtures, an Electrician will be needed to upgrade the fixture to mains rated (remove the transformer) should you want to opt for a different fixture solution. 

50w Halogen = 480 Lumens (approximately)
6w LED = 500 Lumens (approximately)

https://www.bunnings.com.au/osram-mr16-12v-60d-led-500lm-warm-white-5-5w-downlight-globes-3-pack_p02...

DIYGnome
Becoming a Leader

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects