Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair or replace fascia?

LoganTeii
Finding My Feet

How to repair or replace fascia?

IMG_6400.jpeg

IMG_6399.jpeg

  

My old unit has its corner fascia roof damaged from waterleak, which is coming from a poor repaired gutter.

As you could see from the image, the leak has dripped backwardly onto the fascia over-time and this part has been damaged (soft touch and a bit crunchy). So wondering any tips on fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fascia Repair/Replacement

Hello @LoganTeii 

Thanks for sharing your question about your damaged fascia. The removal and replacement of your fascia will involve the removal of your down pipe and the disassembly of your gutters. Depending on how far the damage goes more of your gutters will need to be removed. 

A good example of a fascia panel is the 180 x 25mm 3.6m Fascia H3 Treated Pine Primed LOSP. It's for outdoor use in above ground structural and decorative applications. Painted with a genuine pink primer, and H3 LOSP treated against fungal and insect attack, it is ready for installation and final top-coating.

Due to its involved disassembly, I suggest engaging the services of a registered builder. They will be able to remove the gutters, downpipes and damaged fascia without too much difficulty. They will also be able to inspect your eaves and roof framing and inform you if any of these parts need repairs as well. My best advice is to completely paint the fascia before it is installed on your roof.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Fascia Repair/Replacement

Good Evening @LoganTeii 

The description of the damaged timber of being a bit soft and crunchy means its probarly gone to far to be repaired and needs to be replaced. As @EricL has said the downpipe and gutter will need to be removed first. Then the timber can be assesed to see how far the rot has spread along it and possibly check the underside of the eve as well to see if its damaged. 

The job can be done easyish but it is at height (you may need some sort of stand to work along the length) and you would want to make sure the gutter has the correct fall once you re-install it. 

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to repair or replace fascia?

Hi @LoganTeii 

Both @EricL & @Dave-1 are spot on with their assessment and suggested solutions. 

Depending on the extent of the rotted facia, you may get away with cutting out and replacing a few feet further past the corner. A new corner section of guttering can replace the old if it’s not fully repairable. 

What will make this a more involved job as a DIY project is that to gain access may require that section of the roof opened up and the corner eve sheets removed. Then the issue of working safely at that height

And if it’s determined that entire lengths need to come down and/or replaced, you really should consider a registered builder and get a few quotes underway. 

regards Nailbag. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects