Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair different plaster cracks?

johnk
Finding My Feet

How to repair different plaster cracks?

Hi all,

Have 4 types of cracks that I am wanting to repair in my home all in plaster whilst I paint my house. The house is 25 years old and these cracks have just slowly expanded over the years and have never been repaired as such, so quite good for 25 years.

1. Hairline cracks in ceiling - these are extremely fine but run for a number of meters - was thinking to either run the edge of a paint scrapper inside the crack to expand it and fill with Uni Pro Multi Purpose - then simply paint and not even bother using an undercoat as I am painting the entire ceiling and walls. Alternative was to use tube of acrylic gap filler and simply use my finger to fill in and paint over.

2. Corner tape edge has peeled off in one of the corners -  was going to use mesh tape and then several thin layers of Uni Pro Multi Purposed Filler to evenly spread this out - 2 -3 multi purpose filler coats sanded in between - and then simply paint over with the same paint I will use for the walls and ceiling

3. Some larger cracks over my timber venetian blind areas - I can see some mesh tape there - was going to sand, add some additional mesh tape and fill in with  Uni Pro Multi Purposed Filler to evenly spread this out - 2 -3 coats sanded - and then simply paint over. Was also considering to not add any mesh tape but simply run the edge of a sharp plaster blade to expand and then simply fill in and sand.

4. Some cracks where the wall meets the ceiling and there is timber trim - was simply going to use a tube of acrylic gap filler

and a caulking gun to fill this in.

Pics attached and look forward to any advice!

Thank you.

John.Corner tape peeiling offCorner tape peeiling offHairline Ceiling crackHairline Ceiling crackLarger crack over blindsLarger crack over blindsCracks where ceiling meets wallCracks where ceiling meets wall 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice in several interior plaster crack types to repair in home

Hello @johnk 

Thanks for sharing your question about the interior cracks in your plaster. You would get better results with the Uni Pro Multi Purpose filler on your ceiling as it will cure to a plaster like consistency and will not sink or settle. Whereas the acrylic gap filler might sag or move while it cures. For the corner edge you might need more filler, and I suggest using Gyprock CSR 2.25kg Less Mess Multi-Purpose Joint Compound specially if you are removing the old mesh tape in the corner. You can use the joint compound on the large cracks near the blinds and your idea of using an acrylic gap filler for the wall and ceiling will work just fine.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you repair ceiling cracks?

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to repair a cracked cornice

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to repair cracks on the wall, celling and cornice? by @mmd22.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
johnk
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric,

does the Gyprock multi-purpose-joint-compound then an additional compound on top of it as a finishing compound?

Also with the ceiling crack, is my idea to make the crack bigger with the edge of a plaster tool the right approach before filling in?

Ta.

John.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @johnk 

Technically the multi-purpose joint compound will add a layer to finishing compound, but the properties of the multi-purpose compound allow you to get a fine finish on its surface when sanded properly. In regards to making the crack bigger, it is a sound step as it removes all the loose parts of the crack and allows more of the filling product to enter the crack and thereby allowing it to grab onto the sides of the crack.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

johnk
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric,

What about the option of a quick setting compound so I can fill, sand and paint within a few hours? Any recommendations?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @johnk,

The Poly 100g Rapid Interior Filler is a great multi-purpose fast-setting filler. Painting over can be completed in 30 minutes, so you should be able to sand quite soon after application, depending on the temperature and humidity.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects