Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a hole in the wall?

burn
Finding My Feet

How to repair a hole in the wall?

Hi,

I need to repair this hole (that holds a curtain bracket) for my son. I will take out the skewers and plan to insert red rawlplug and pack out the fluting (it looks like a cone now) with some filler. It is an interior cement rendered wall and the outer part of the hole is almost 25mm round now.

I am assuming an epoxy, but can someone mention which one to use?

Thanks in advance

What filler to use?What filler to use?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I fill this

Hi @burn

Eproxy isnt required but if you have it use it. Leave the packing in the hole just  trim any sticking out.

But if you use no more  gaps , or basically any  gap filler in painting section simply push it in hole and scrap over the top and when its  dry  its sandable  and  paintable.

One filler is 

Selleys 180g Spakfilla Rapid Gap Filler I/N: 1231864   $11.79

Have a good  New Year

Thanks @Jewelleryrescue

Will the Rapid Gap Filler allow for the re-drilling of a hole to insert  a rawlplug?

Hi @burn 

25mm hole is probably too big for rawl plug to grip the  hole sides.  I would consider gluing in with  araldite let set overnight.  a wooden dowel of 20mm  diameter some thing a screw can bite into the glue will stop dowel spinning in the hole. Or you  can aralidite  all those sticks in tight if they go deep into the  hole,  So that is your epoxy repair with timber fibre for grip.

The second hole  just needs filling use the rapid filler. Rapid filler  will not really support a screw reliably.  

The object is to fill the hole so the plug dosent spin or pull out and will compress against the sides for grip.

I hope that helps clear things up.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @burn. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a hole in the wall.

It's great to hear that you've already received a helpful reply from @Jewelleryrescue 

Any chance you can fill this hole and then move the bracket location slightly so you're drilling into fresh material?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Jewelleryrescue Thank you.

@MitchellMc Unfortunately, the curtain is a fixed length, so I have to fill.I think I need something two part - perhaps https://www.selleys.com.au/products/putty-and-fillers/rigid-fillers/selleys-tradies-bog/

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That will do the job, @burn.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects