Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove pop rivets?

Tinafixit
Finding My Feet

How to remove pop rivets?

how to remove pop rivets to replace a front screen door. 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how to remove pop rivets

Hi @Tinafixit ,

The easiest way is to drill through them on the wide side, where the stem is broken off from. Use a drill bit the same size as the original hole, if you know that. If you don't know what size hole was drilled, just choose a drill bit that is slightly larger than the hole in the wide side of the rivet.  The drill bit will centre itself in that hole. No need to be forceful because they come out quickly and easily. The bit only has to cut through the thin 

head of the rivet to detach it from the body. The bit will then pass through the original hole and you are ready to replace the rivet if necessary.

Great thanks so much. The drill bit I had wasn’t going through the rivet. So I need to get a better drill bit for metal, off to Bunnings again! 
I’ll let know how I go! Thanks

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tinafixit,

Allow me to extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you join us.

It's great to see you've already received some advice from @TedBear, which is perfect advice.

I'd suggest you grab a cobalt bit in the corresponding size. These are great for drilling through metal and will make light work of this job.

Let us know if you run into any issues along the way or if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Thanks Jacob, I haven’t had any luck with a drill bit for metal. I’ve tried bashing through the middle with a thin screwdriver as well. Tried numerous times and I’m absolutely so frustrated as it is a simple thing. 
It’s an old screen door and don’t know what to try now. I’m going to get someone else to do it. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tinafixit,

I'd be happy to offer further advice if you wanted to keep trying, but I completely understand your frustration and there is no pressure at all if you wanted to have someone else take over.

Was there a specific issue you're having with drilling through the rivet? Is the drill bit biting and seizing up possibly?

If you had some photos of your drill and the rivet, I'd be happy to offer further advice.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Hi again @Tinafixit ,

Sometimes the whole rivet body spins when you try to drill it out and no drilling occurs then. Perhaps that's what's happening. If so, you need to get someone else to use pliers to hold the other side of the rivet so it can't spin (unless you can reach around).

I found a Youtube video showing the process -

https://youtu.be/DQmzPkNX0QI?si=A_XRSwx2MKSQATf-

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects