Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove paint from powder coated window frames?

Sheddy
Just Starting Out

How to remove paint from powder coated window frames?

I bought my first house a few months ago. The previous owners have painted over powder coated sliding door frames.

The white paint which has been applied over the powder coated surface is flaking which reveals the dark grey powder coat beneath. The powder coated surface appears to be in good condition, no signs that an abrasive was used to prepare it for painting.

Question: What is the safest way to strip the white paint without damaging the powder coated surface?

Sheddy.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint removal

Hello @Sheddy 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing paint on your window frame.

I'm afraid I'm unaware of a method to safely remove the paint that's currently on the frame without damaging the powder coated paint underneath. You could try using a Pro Renovator 50mm Plastic Scraper to try and lift the chipping paint. There is also the option of using Norton Bear 50mm x 25 White Cloth Tape. Put it near a flaking section and pull it off in a hard jerking action to strip the paint off the surface. 

Otherwise, I suggest thinking about sanding down the paint and spray painting the window frame again.

Let me call on our experienced members @Jewelleryrescue and @Noyade for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Sheddy 

I see there paint work was a bit of a rush  job and a bit patchy I see why you want to fix it.

Generally speaking powder coating is a pretty robust finish so we need a mechanical means to attack the added paint  or even a paint  removal  gel to soften the outer paint.

Plan A

Poly 1L Polystrippa Paint Stripper - 1L  I/N: 1715074   @21.98

After tryng the  paint stripper in a hidden test spot I think @EricL plastic scrapper might work here.

Plan B Well i would use a cordless drill with a pin wheel shaped  wire brush to abraid looser  paint off.   Steel pot scrubber might help getting into corners. Tricky to guide the brush on the drill have spare  drill battery ready to go.

PLAN B1  A light use of a detail sander may assist removing  the  paint but be warned this may go through the powder coat.

Josco 50mm Wheel Wire Brush In6315241

$5.65

Plan C Paint removal  is a hard messy  job.

Consider simply painting the  door frames in your prefered color

Sheddy
Just Starting Out

Thanks @EricL!

Thanks for the advice @Jewelleryrescue and for validating my feelings towards the rushed pain job.

It's reassuring to know Plan C is an option. I've never tried painting over a powder coated surface before. Do you have any advice on how to do this properly?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects