Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove floating floors?

Elle44
Building a Reputation

How to remove floating floors?

Hi all

I've just bought a new house which has a quite old and scuffed floating floor.  I'm assured by the RE agent that there are real floor boards underneath.  Is it difficult to remove a floating floor?  I've had a quote for over $700 for just three rooms and thought if it wasn't too difficult I could do it myself.  I've had a look at the FAQs but they seem to be about installing a floating floor not removing it. Any advice appreciated!

cheers, Elle

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove floating floors

Hello @Elle44 

Thank you for sharing your question about your floating floor. Floating floors are usually kept in place with either timber moulding or skirting boards depending on the installation method. Would it be possible for you to please post a picture of your floor with the skirting boards included in the picture. This will give our members a better idea of what your floating floor looks like. We can then make recommendations on what you do to disassemble it.

Generally speaking, the timber moulding or skirting board is removed which will give you access to the floating floor closest to the wall. All you need to do then is to lift it up and unclip it from the panel next to it. Place the timber flooring on a pile and tape them together so that you have a nice, neat pile which you can then either stow or throw in the tip.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects