Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a window insect screen?

suzlala
Finding My Feet

How to remove a window insect screen?

Hello,

I would appreciate any advice about removing an insect net for cleaning. It is in an apartment, and the outside of the window cannot be accessed.

The window has a winding mechanism for opening. I can find 3 screws around the window - 2 holding the window winder in place and 1 retaining clip at the top of the insect screen. I removed all 3 screws but can't work out how to get the insect net off.

IMG20240723125147.jpg

There is a small lip at the bottom edge of the window holding the insect net in place. With the window open, I have tried pushing the bottom of the insect net away from me and pulling the top towards me. However the middle section of the insect net frame can only move about 1cm when I do this. The left and right edges of the insect net frame feel very stuck. I have tried pushing the frame of the insect net in different directions in case there is a spring mechanism or a catch, but I cannot feel any give when I do this.

Any advice appreciated!

Small lip holding the net in place at the bottom of the windowSmall lip holding the net in place at the bottom of the window

IMG20240723125221.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove a window insect screen?

Hello @suzlala 

Thanks for sharing your question about your insect screen. If you look at your first picture, you'll see at the top of your insect screen a plastic clip called a Rolltrak Clear Flushed Fly Screen Clip. I suggest removing it using a Philips Screwdriver, this will allow you to pull back the insect screen and let you to clean it.

To reinstall, simply slide the insect screen back into place and reposition the fly screen clip into its original position.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Baggs
Having an Impact

Hi @suzlala 

The screen looks to be quite tight to the frame of the window which will be making it harder to remove.

Once you have removed the top screw and turn button you should be able to use a flat screw driver or paint scraper to pry the top of the screen out.

cheers

Kyle

Thank you both for the replies. They gave me the reassurance that I was probably doing the right thing. It was too tight to slide anything between the insect net and window frame, but the insect net came off after pulling all across the top section with much more force, and some wiggling. Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @suzlala 

I'm glad that you've managed to remove your insect screens. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects