Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch internal brick and render after chasing?

tizaks
Finding My Feet

How to patch internal brick and render after chasing?

Hi there,

I'm looking to repair some brick and render that was chased by a plumber to move some pipes in the walls of our laundry. There are two areas to repair, at a maximum depth of about 50mm. In my photos I have a tape measure next to the two areas to show how long they are. After patching, one area will be tiled over, and another we plan to paint over.

I was considering potentially combining products - a rapid set mortar to fill the depth of the holes, and then something more refined for the top layer, especially for where we plan to paint. Does that sound correct at all?

I'd appreciate any advice on the best way to repair this, thank you!

TomIMG_5564 Medium.jpegIMG_5565 Medium.jpegIMG_5567 Medium.jpegIMG_5566 Large.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to patch internal brick and render after chasing?

Hello @tizaks 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about patching internal render on a brick wall. 

I recommend starting by using a Mr. Clean Handheld Iron Scrub Brush, or a similar tool, to remove any loose render that might still be present. After that, dampen the exposed render with a Sabco Jumbo Wash Sponge before applying the mortar. You'll need a  Craftright 150mm Pointing Trowel to mix the mortar and apply it to the damaged area. I suggest using the Dingo Fast Set Mortar - 3kg mixed with water for the repair. Only mix the amount you'll need for the job, and store any unused mortar in a ziplock bag for future use. This sounds like an interesting repair project—I'd love to see some photo updates as you work on it!

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to render

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to patch internal brick and render after chasing?

Great, thanks Eric. I’ll give that a go. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects