Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint timber doors?

ceilingfan
Finding My Feet

How to paint timber doors?

FB05F40F-1B96-4F61-BC8E-D657248D4B6E.jpeg

Hi guys

I am having a problem with peeling paint. I sanded the door with 120grit sand paper, applied 1 coat off dulux 1 step prep and 2 coats of water based semi gloss aqua enamel.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: painting timber doors

Hello @ceilingfan 

Thanks for sharing your question about the paint on your door peeling off. That is indeed a mystery, as far as I can tell from your description you've done everything correctly. You've sanded the entire surface, removed all sanding dust off the surface and then applied the primer which you then followed with the topcoat. 

Can you tell us a little more about your door? Was it at any point exposed to heavy moisture? Did you wipe the surface with a cleaning chemical after sanding it? Is the primer brand new or was it something you already had in your tool shed? Any extra information you can share with us would be very much appreciated.

At this point in time, I suggest removing the paint and sanding the door once more. But before you paint it with a primer, I suggest wiping the surface with a damp cloth to totally eliminate any surface dust. Let the surface dry completely before putting the primer on.

Give the primer a full day to cure and test the surface to make sure that it has properly anchored to the door's material. If it peels off again, I suggest stopping painting and carefully examining the materials you are using and see if the paint has expired. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Nailbag and @TedBear for their opinion regarding the paint peeling off.  

If you need have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi there

yes I wiped the surface after sanding with a micro fibre cloth.

door has never been exposed to moisture.

primer was brand new

i let the primer cure for 24 hours

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @ceilingfan looks to me like a water-based paint has been applied over an oil, this will always cause this issue. Unless you want to spend considerable time sanding the entire door back to raw timber, which is the only way to get the door looking as new when repainting in oil or water based, then the alternative is to start fresh with a new blank. 

Regards, Nailbag

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ceilingfan,

It sounds like you have an oil-based paint on the door and haven't sanded adequately. You can apply a water-based primer over an oil-based paint, but it must be sanded really well. I can see you've hit the peaks of the oil-based paint's texture but not the valley's. To avoid the need to sand extensively, you should use an oil-based primer, which a water-based paint can be applied over.

Where did this peeling start? Was it in this area with a slightly different texture? Do you have any idea if that's just an area you sanded completely smooth or if it is some type of repair?

Mitchell

texture.png

Hi 

thanks for that

I am going to scrape off the paint that I have used and buy an oil based paint. Will I need an oil based primer too or will it be ok to just do a couple of coats with a semi gloss oil based paint over the existing?

Priming a surface will always provide the best adhesion for a topcoat @ceilingfan

You'll still need to determine if it's actually an oil-based paint that has caused the issue. To determine if the paint is oil-based, moisten a cloth with rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover and rub it on a small, inconspicuous area of the painted surface. If the paint comes off or becomes tacky, it is water-based. If nothing happens, the paint is oil-based. 

Mitchell

Dezzi
Cultivating a Following

Hi MitchellMc,

Can I confirm if it is possible to use methylated spirits or turpentine instead of rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover to determine if the paint is oil or water based?

I have methylated spirits and turpentine but not rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover!

Thanks heaps,

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dezzi,

I can confirm that you can use methylated spirits in a similar way. 

Apply some to a cotton ball and rub an inconspicuous area. If the paint comes off or becomes tacky, it is water-based, if nothing happens, it is oil-based.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Dezzi To test whether your paint is oil-based or water-based simply apply a small amount of methylated spirits on a clean white rag and wipe a small section. If the cloth is stained with the wall colour, it's water-based.

Regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects